Why are my SSH attempts failing?

Options
jeffatgw
jeffatgw
Community Member

I'm trying to setup 1Password 8 to handle my SSH keys on macOS. I have 1Password 8 Desktop and the CLI installed. I believe I have gone through all the setup steps but must have missed something.

$ ssh -T git@github.com returns the following error.

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "@geeniou - Github" from agent: agent refused operation git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

This ERROR appears in the log files after SSH attempt

ERROR 2023-04-19T00:55:53.482 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:583] SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

Anybody have an idea?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

Comments

• Hey @jeffatgw! Thanks for reporting this issue. Could you open the 1Password app and navigate to Settings -> Developer -> SSH Agent -> Security and change the "Ask approval for each new..." setting to some other value and then change it back to the setting you prefer?

This should fix your issue. We're currently working on a fix that should prevent this from happening in the future.

• jeffatgw
    jeffatgw
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @MartonS1P, that fixed issue.

• Glad to hear it worked! Let us know if you run into any other issues.

• reynoldsbd
    reynoldsbd
    Community Member
    Options

Windows 11 user here, just chiming in that I did start seeing this exact issue this morning (same error message in my logs), and the suggested workaround does indeed work for me too. Thanks @MartonS1P!

• On behalf of Marton, you're very welcome!

Jack

• jb77423d
    jb77423d
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I just had the same issue in 1Password for Linux (latest version), and the fix worked for me. Is this an issue that will be soon fixed in an upcoming release?

• sunrocktree
    sunrocktree
    Community Member
    Options

Count me as another affected user. I do appreciate this work around, but it'd be great to get this fixed in the app.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi folks, thanks for letting us know this issue has affected you. Our developers are working on this one and we'll hope to have more for you soon. In the meantime, please let us know if the workaround doesn't work for you - we want to ensure you are able to do everything you need to do.

ref: dev/core/core#21219

• 1user1
    1user1
    Community Member
    Options

I am still facing this issue with the 1Password desktop application on Mac OSX. The suggested workaround of changing the approval timeout does not work for me.

In the logs I see the following when attempting to use git via ITerm2 to sign my commits:

WARN 2023-08-07T00:47:19.580 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(2)) [1P:op-settings/src/store/json_store.rs:1047] waiting for setting unlock event timed out
    ERROR 2023-08-07T00:47:19.581 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(2)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:603] unable to obtain setting state, dropping signature request

Then, when I attempt the work-around and retry, I see the following:

WARN 2023-08-07T00:47:53.147 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(2)) [1P:op-settings/src/store/json_store.rs:1097] attempted to change authenticated setting (sshAgent.sshAuthorizatonModel) with no key state
    WARN 2023-08-07T00:47:58.309 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:op-settings/src/store/json_store.rs:1097] attempted to change authenticated setting (sshAgent.sshSessionDuration) with no key state
    INFO 2023-08-07T00:48:19.738 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(80)) [1P:foundation/op-apple/src/biometry_service.rs:308] System biometry info: BiometricStatus { current_policy: BiometricsOnly, current_method: TouchId, current_availability: NotEnrolled }

When can we expect a fix for this?

This discussion has been closed.