The desktop app doesn't support multiple people from the same family.

Options
gauthierpetetin
gauthierpetetin
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Families

My wife and I use separate Google Chrome sessions on the same computer, each with its own 1password extension, connected to the same 1password desktop app.
This would work well if each of us had their own independent 1password account, as 1password desktop app can handle multiple independent accounts (i.e. not from the same family).
Unfortunately the 1password desktop app doesn't support multiple people from the same family.
As a result, we can't both use 1Password on our shared computer.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2023
    Options

@gauthierpetetin

Correct. 1Password is set up as a single-user type of application. That being, one macOS user is able to use the app. Separate OS user accounts for each of you is the best way to accomplish what you are looking to do. The advantage of this is when you log in, you have your Mac in front of you. You have access to your email, instant messaging, customization, and settings. Fast User Switching is the key to this kind of setup.

 Apple Support - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

 Apple Support - Switch quickly between users on Mac

Windows users have similar abilities.

Alternatively, you could also log into each of your accounts using separate browse profiles as you do now but this would have have the limitation of only one of you being able to access the application. In that situation you would be unable to use things like Touch ID or Apple Watch Unlock. For this reason.

This discussion has been closed.