Yubikey Questions

Options
Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member

I want to use Yubikeys for 2FA authentication on my 1P account. Can you please clarify three items for me?

1. I currently use an authenticator app as my 2FA tool. I want to completely turn off the 2FA app and replace it with Yubikeys. Can I do this?

2. I want to register three Yubikeys for my 1P account. What is the limit on the number of Yubikeys I can register?

3. In the worst case, if I were to simultaneously lose all three Yubikeys, can I still access my 1P account using the information on the 1P Emergency Kit?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi there @Newbie2018

1. I currently use an authenticator app as my 2FA tool. I want to completely turn off the 2FA app and replace it with Yubikeys. Can I do this?

Yes. You don't have to use an authenticator app for two-factor authentication on your 1Password account, and you can use one or more hardware security keys on their own if you like.

Once you've added your hardware security key(s), you can remove the authenticator app.

1. I want to register three Yubikeys for my 1P account. What is the limit on the number of Yubikeys I can register?

I tried this with about 20 and still didn't find a limit, so if you do run into a limit, let me know!

1. In the worst case, if I were to simultaneously lose all three Yubikeys, can I still access my 1P account using the information on the 1P Emergency Kit?

On new devices, no. But if you're already signed in on your device, then yes you can, and you can turn two-factor authentication off from there so that you can set it back up again.

I hope that answers your questions, but let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick and clear response. Much appreciated.

• @Newbie2018 – You're welcome! We'll be here if you need anything. :)

This discussion has been closed.