Autofill doesn't work on Android Chrome incognito mode

Options
Jason791
Jason791
Community Member

Autofill doesn't work on Android Chrome incognito mode. Should it or is there a way to enable it? Just moved from Lastpass and this worked.

Pixel 6

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hey there @Jason1p

I was able to successfully autofill into an Incognito tab in Chrome on my Pixel 7 Pro just now. Sometimes, we hear about some trouble with autofilling into Chrome in general (as in, not just Incognito tabs), and it seems that switching to any other app and back to Chrome then helps with autofill being suggested. Give that a try and let me know if switching to another app (not the Home screen) and back to Chrome makes a difference. :)

— Grey

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Still no 1Password option just for Chrome incognito. It's working fine for regular Chrome tabs and 1P worked fine for the CVS app I switched to. Very interesting that it worked on your incognito tab(s). I'm going to reboot my phone just to rule that out...

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P, after rebooting my phone (Pixel 6) I did have to toggle to an app and use 1P before it would work on Chrome, but still nothing on the incognito tabs even when 1P works on the regular Chrome tabs.

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    Options

After some more testing this appears to be more of a problem with the Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard. I switched to the GBoard keyboard and 1P works (sometimes) on the Chrome incognito tabs. It seems like I have to toggle back and forth to an app regularly to get it to work using GBoard, but at least it will work. I think I got it to work with SwiftKey a couple of times. Reminder, all of this testing is on a Pixel 6 (Android) in Chrome incognito tabs.

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hi @Jason791 thanks for following up with us.

Autofill issues can stem from a number of sources. I believe the issues referenced in the forum thread you shared may be separate as I didn't see any mention to private or incognito windows and the specific keyboards didn't end up factoring in. That being said, what you've described certainly sounds like disruptive behavior and I'm sorry for the trouble here.

In testing with Swiftkey and Chrome Incognito I was seeing a consistent response from Autofill. Could you try restarting Chrome by removing it from Recents then let us know if you see any change in behavior?

Recents can be opened by tapping the square icon along the bottom of your screen. If you use gestures, it's typically a short swipe up from the bottom of the home screen. From there you can locate the Chrome window, swipe up on it, then reopen Chrome.

If you happen to have a browser that uses native Autofill such as DuckDucKGo or Firefox installed could you also let us know if you see more consistent behavior with private tabs there?

Thanks again!

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_timothy, I swiped Chrome off of the recent list, then reopened an incognito tab, and 1P autofill didn't respond. So, I flipped to an app (Labcorp) filled creds in with 1P (autofill worked), then flipped back to Chrome incognito and autofill worked. Now 1P autofill has been working consistently. I tried this same texting when I started the thread. Perhaps something changed in recent update(s)?

Also, autofill hasn't failed yet on DuckDuckGo.

• Hi @Jason791 thanks for sharing this update.

We've been releasing a number of tweaks to help with underlying Autofill issues and we have more in the pipeline. Anecdotally, I'm seeing a positive trend in Autofill consistency so it seems that things are moving in the right direction. I believe there was a recent update to Chrome which may have helped as well.

When I'm able to trigger unresponsiveness in Chrome (typically leaving a device idle for an extended period), I find that restarting the browser resolves the issue immediately. I have seen a few instances where a page refresh or a focus switch as you mentioned seems to be required as well.

If you continue seeing any positive or negative change, let us know! And if there's anything we can help with let us know as well!

• Jason791
    Jason791
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I used autofill a couple of times on my mobile Chrome incognito tabs today and it worked. It's definitely not 100%, but better than last time I posted. I'll continue posting my experiences.

• Thanks @Jason791, I really appreciate you sharing these updates.

This discussion has been closed.