[Feature request] prefix for generated password

Options
rootydev
rootydev
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'd like to request a that you can configure the generator to always add a certain prefix to your passwords. For example, making all generated passwords start with PASSWORDPREFIX, and then having the 1password generated output appended.
See an example of what a generated password would look like:

PASSWORDPREFIXE68Loms_sr*Gz3dqmgR3jWNVQhDLchspraN.Gw6nC*@gPz@Bu

I use this to remove any passwords from my clipboard history. My current workflow is fine, I just either copy paste the generated password then add it to the manager in another tab, or use the popup if it works and edit the password in there, but it would be nice to have it as a standalone feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: Arch Linux x86_64
Browser: Sidekick (Chromium variant)

Comments

• Hey @rootydev,

Thank you for your suggestion, I'd be happy to put in a request with the team but first I'd like to try and gain further understanding on your workflow so I can provide as much information as possible to add weight to your request.

When you go to a website where you are using 1Password to generate a password, can you describe your workflow? Instead of copy and pasting the generated password have you tried filling the generated password by either clicking on the inline menu beneath the field or by going to the password generator in your browser extension and using the 'Autofill' button to fill the password in the field? That way it won't be copied to your clipboard.

In addition, can you check the following setting is enabled in your 1Password app:

1. Open and unlock your 1Password app
    2. Click on your account in the top left hand corner and choose Settings
    3. Click on the Security tab
    4. Make sure 'Remove copied information and authentication codes after 90 seconds' is checked.

You clipboard will then be cleared automatically after copying a password.

I hope this helps, I look forward to hearing from you.

• rootydev
    rootydev
    Community Member
    Options

wrt workflow:
    I try to use the autofill/inline menu as much as possible when entering my password, but it ultimately doesn't work on some sites, like I believe one of the credit bureaus wouldn't show the inline and whenever I clicked the extension to autofill it would unfocus the field.

I do have that setting enabled and I just tested it - it appears to work on my setup at least. The issue I have is I have a separate clipboard history program (https://github.com/sentriz/cliphist) - started with wl-paste --watch cliphist store &, and I'd have to delete the passwords from this history. The easiest way for me to work around that is to have a background program watch the clipboard history, and delete any entries containing the password prefix.

The main friction with this is when I sign up/change my password, I have to click on the inline, generate a password, add my prefix in the popup, then copy-paste the new password from the popup into the signup/change password input fields.

Several other features would also solve my issue - extending the clipboard feature to remove stored passwords from cliphist, making the inline popup for password generation autofill the password that gets stored to 1password (rather than the generated password), or the configurable password prefixes.

I'd imagine this could be possible in some way by integrating the 1password cli, but I don't really know the cli and I'd imaging doing it securely would be difficult.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Alternatively you you could ask the author of cliphist (if that's still actively maintained; I get a 404 when visiting your link) to add a feature to ignore certain Apps (and maybe even some by default) as Alfred does:

By default, Alfred ignores popular password applications like the macOS Keychain Access and 1Password, so that you don't inadvertently copy a password to your clipboard. You can add more applications you want Alfred to ignore by dragging them into the Ignore Apps box. As a result, Alfred will not add any text copied in these apps into your history.

• Hey @rootydev,

I'm sorry for the delayed response, thank you for this level of detail.

I have filed a feature request on your behalf and have passed all of your feedback on to our product team for consideration in future updates.

Thank you for taking the time to suggest ways in which we can improve 1Password, let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB34920611

This discussion has been closed.