When passkeys come out of Beta in 1Password?

Options
Solos
Solos
Community Member

When can we expect passkeys to be available in stable version of 1Password (Browser extensions and iOS)? Do we need to wait for iOS 17 and new macOS or it will be released earlier?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @Solos

I do not believe there is a specific time frame the team has established.

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

Still waiting. I'd love to start using passkeys now, but I do not fell like using beta version od an app with my passwords :(

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

@Solos : I can understand that you don't want to switch to the beta but you can just try it on a specific browser, I think. In my case, just switch to the 1password beta for Firefox which is not my main browser. So that you can have a look at the feature. In the link (https://support.1password.com/save-use-passkeys/), there are some examples of web applications that support passkeys (and this list is still small). I have around 1000 logins in my vaults and I am not sure all the applications will support passkeys. And so that's also why (I think) the dev team has not yet switched passkey feature to general availability. The other point that I noticed is the way amazon, google, box, ebay and the others have implemented the passkeys in their ecosystems : they all have different approaches ... I would says it is messy !-) But the industry will come to some implementation standards I hope ... Passkeys are really a big step forward ...

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

All very valid points. Thanks @smartboy 👍😀 Will do as you suggest and check it out on a different browser.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, just switch to the 1password beta for Firefox which is not my main browser.

Don't you need to run the beta of the 1Password App as well, for passkeys to work in the beta browser extension?

• @XIII

Yes, that's correct. You need the beta version of both the main 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension to be able to save and use passkeys.

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

And I’m back in square one 😂

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Solos I use even the nightly versions of 1Password since 2 years, and they didn't destroy my data. These are not crashing, untested, amok running apps straight from the compiler. Instead, the betas and nightlies can be seen as candidates for the next release with much QA before being available to us customers. Existing functions usually don't break.

If it comes to passkeys, I don't expect them going to the release any time soon, because there is still much to do outside of 1Password to make passkeys work seamlessly everywhere. Many websites are starting with passkeys currently, but this is not yet without issues. This is kind of experimental for every party involved, because it's a new technology. And as long as the whole system is still stabilizing, there cannot be a release of the passkeys functionality in 1Password, because there would be too much issues (with many websites), and the feature would be rejected by many users. Rejected forever, with much damage to passkeys in general.

For example, Google Chrome currently hijacks passkey filling for Google accounts. You're able to save Google account passkeys in 1Password, but you're not able to use them to login - Chrome only offers Windows Hello and the Windows-integrated passkeys handling. As long as this isn't solved by Google and 1Password cannot provide the Google account passkey, I guess it's not reasonable to set passkey support to release. People would start using it, then failing with Google accounts - one of the most frequently used account type.

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Tertius3. I wasn’t aware there are so many issues between companies who are part of FIDO Alliance, so they shall work together to make it work seamlessly as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.