How to clear all (150,000) items from Personal Vault

Options
vhawks
vhawks
Community Member
edited July 2023 in Business and Teams

We are new to 1Password. I had it working until last week when I attempted an import from a csv file. The csv file had a couple hundred entries to import but 1Password ended up creating almost 150,000 items in my personal vault. They obviously went into some type of loop. Since then EVERYTHING crashes (Android, Windows App, Browser, plugin, etc.) as soon as it touches the personal vault. I've interacted with 1Password support and sent them diagnostic logs, etc. but they have not responded for a couple of days and I need to get this working again. Is there any way to bulk clear the personal vault. It's not possible to remove the one at a time since I can't open the vault any more. I'm unable to use 1Password at this point so looking for anything I can try while I wait for 1Password support to respond.

1Password Version: 8.10.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows
Browser: Chrome, firefox,

Comments

• vhawks
    vhawks
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, meant to post this in the business area not the families area

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@vhawks How about deleting your account and recreate it, if there are no other important entries yet in your personal vault, just the 150000 duplicates? If it's a new team account, it's probably faster to recreate it and assign any permissions again, than to work out how to remove that huge amount of entries.

It's probably a 5 minute thing if someone in your organization with the organizer role just deletes your account, then invites you again, same email as the deleted account, and you create a new empty account. That's how I would do it with a family member account, and the family account is very similar to a team account as far as I know.

• vhawks
    vhawks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding - I have considered that but in addition to the personal vault, I have created other vaults including multiple shared vaults with my team so I am concerned that deleting the account will impact the entire team. I was hoping 1password support would be able to just clear the personal vault.

• vhawks
    vhawks
    Community Member
    Options

I found reference to using the 1password CLI - which looks like it has an option to remove a vault. Anyone used it? Just was not sure if 1Password allowed you to remove the personal vault since it is a standard part of the configuration or if you could only delete vaults you created.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@vhawks In the family account, so probably with the teams account as well, every vault except the personal vault is shared. Even if you're the only one using an additionally created vault. If you delete an account, only the personal vault gets deleted along with it. Shared vaults created by a deleted account will stay.

If such a vault appears orphaned afterwards, because no one any more has permission to access it, someone with the organizer role is able to give anyone access again, even if he himself isn't explicitly allowed to manage this vault - the organizer is able to manage every shared vault.

If it was not so, you would never be able to remove accounts for co-workers who leave your company, if shared vaults created by him would vanish along with his account. So this doesn't happen.

• @vhawks

I've relocate this conversation to the Business and Teams section. I've asked the team to check on you support request.

• @vhawks

Do you have a support ID from your submission? Can you share it with me?

• LieutenantLefse
    LieutenantLefse
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if even the CLI would let you delete the Private vault but you can delete all items in it.

Warning, very dangerous command, change "nope" to "op" to make it work:
    op item list --vault Private --format json | nope item delete -

• Hello @vhawks,

It's been a while since we've heard from you. Please let us know your support ticket ID if you still need any assistance.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.