OTP 7 digits (e.g. cloudflare etc) not compatible with 1Password

Options
Maelstromeous
Maelstromeous
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

It seems it is currently not possible to create 7 digit OTP passwords. I have tried the following methods to create one for CloudFlare specifically, but unable to do so:

1. Used "Scan QR Code" via Chrome browser beta extension (v8) - Created 6 digit code, CF won't accept it
  2. Created via "Scan QR Code" in the Beta Mac App, created 6 digit code, no avail
  3. Created via the iOS app, scanned the code directly, same issue

On all of the above methods I have also tried to create a code via copying the text based code you can input into the "One time password" field to create a OTP without a QR code, thinking it's an issue with the QR code scanning, that too did not work and created a 6 digit code.

Is OTP 7 digit support coming at any point?

Many thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14.2
OS Version: 13.4.1 (22F770820d)
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Maelstromeous

Correct TOTP codes in 1Password are 6 digits . Larger codes (within 1Password) are not possible to the best of my knowledge. I would be happy to file a feature request with the product team on your behalf. I'm afraid I do not have an estimation on when/if such a feature would be possible.

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy After much pratting about on CF's website, it seems somehow my account was in a weird state on CF's side. Logging in and out then adding a 6 digit code worked, very weird!

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2023
    Options

I've been there myself. Glad to hear things are working now. I filled a request for the future. :) I see request for longer TOTP's periodically. So all good. Have a great weekend.

ref: PB-34987513

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Correct TOTP codes are 6 digits. Larger codes are not possible to the best of my knowledge.

TOTP is an improvement of HOTP, where more than 6 digits are possible, according to RFC 4226:

Implementations MUST extract a 6-digit code at a minimum and possibly 7 and 8-digit code. Depending on security requirements, Digit = 7 or more SHOULD be considered in order to extract a longer HOTP value.

So maybe for TOTP as well?

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks @XIII I'll need to do some reading. My 6 digit reference was more along the lines of what is currently available within 1Password. I'll clarify that above. :)

This discussion has been closed.