Google Passkey presence not detected across different browsers or platforms.

Options

Hi 1Password Team,

I started experimenting with the beta versions of the browser extension for Chrome and Edge on a M1 Macbook and a Windows PC. I started with creating a Passkey for my Google account using Chrome on my Mac which worked successfully. I switched to Edge on my Mac and found it didn't seem to recognise the presence of the Passkey. I ended up creating a passkey again after which it seemed to work. However now there seemed to be two passkeys in my Google account. There were also additonal passkeys and web addresses in 1Password. I decided to delete all the passkeys in my Google account and in 1Password as well as the additional Google web addresses and start over.

Again I started with Chrome on my Mac which worked as expected. I then switced to Edge and again it didn't immediately recognise the presence of a Passkey but I did notice the "Try another way" option and that did seem to give me the Passkey option and that was successful. I don't recall seeing that last time but am not sure. I signed out, then signed in again and this time Edge seem to immediately recognise the presence of a Passkey.

I then switched to Windows but neither Chrome or Edge seemed to recognise the presence of a Passkey. The "Try another way" option in Chrome and Edge didn't offer a Passkey option. Short of creating another Passkey I don't see any other way to get this working in Chrome or Edge in Windows.

Is this behaviour expected across different browsers or platforms for Google accounts? I would hope that a Passkey created once on any browser on any platform could be used without difficulty on another browser or another platform.

Please clarify what should be the expected behaviour.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Mac: 8.10.8; Windows: 8.10.9
Extension Version: MacOS/Windows: Chrome/Edge: 2.14.1
OS Version: MacOS 11.6.8, Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Browser: Mac: Chrome 115.0.5790.1709, Edge 114.0.1823.67

Comments

• protege5755
    protege5755
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password Team,

You asked for feedback on the 1Password in the browser beta, but I haven't seen any indication you're looking at it, as it's been 2 weeks since I left this comment.

Any thoughts or suggestions to share.

This discussion has been closed.