Username field not recognized in Brave Browser on iOS

Options
IceManF82
IceManF82
Community Member
edited March 2023 in iOS

1Password 8 for the iPhone no longer recognizes the username field when using the Brave Browser for several websites (e.g. Amazon.com).

Consequently, there is no option to open 1Password to search for the login. This issue does not occur when using Safari. Please see the attached screenshot with the browsers side-by-side. Notations have been made in the photo to indicate which browser is which, and the observed behavior.

note: my username on Amazon has been masked in the screenshot of Safari

1Password Version: 8.10.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Hello @IceManF82! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not receiving a login suggestion on certain websites when using Brave. The login suggestions that you see above your keyboard are generated by iOS and not 1Password using an Apple feature called Password AutoFill. 1Password only provides the data for the experience and doesn't generate the suggestion itself.

I recommend that you report the issue to Brave so that they can investigate why the Password AutoFill prompt isn't appearing on certain websites in Brave when it is appearing in Safari.

-Dave

• IceManF82
    IceManF82
    Community Member
    Options

Dave - with all due respect, that’s not a solution. The issue did not occur with previous versions of 1Password!

This issue is exclusive to 1Password 8 on the iPhone.

This does not occur in the Brave browser on a laptop/desktop.

• @IceManF82

I can reproduce the same issue when using 1Password 7 and Brave on my iPhone. And when using Apple's Keychain. The detection of username and password fields in browsers like Brave is handled entirely by iOS Password AutoFill and not 1Password. You would run into the same issue when using 1Password 8, 1Password 7, or another password manager since it's iOS that handles the detection of fields and the rendering of the suggestion above the keyboard.

Since no 1Password code is responsible for the detection of fields in Brave, and the suggestion above the keyboard, this isn't something that 1Password can fix. It would need to be fixed by either Apple or Brave depending on where the issue is occurring.

In the meantime, if you type in your email address or phone number into Amazon's webpage and then tap Continue, you'll be able to use Password AutoFill to fill your password on the next page.

This does not occur in the Brave browser on a laptop/desktop.

On the laptop and desktop the detection and filling of fields is handled by our browser extension and not the operating system as it is on iOS. If you're looking for a similar experience to what you're used to on the desktop then I recommend giving 1Password for Safari a try. Unfortunately Brave doesn't yet support browser extensions on iOS and iPadOS which means that iOS Password AutoFill is the only way to fill logins in that browser.

I know that this isn't the answer that you were hoping to hear. Hopefully the situation is improved by Apple/Brave in the future.

-Dave

• philpalmiero
    philpalmiero
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve got this same problem on iOS with Brave. I love Brave but this missing feature is a real pain.

This discussion has been closed.