Missing improvements to Masked Mail

Options
skeo
skeo
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Been nearly a year since this discussion was closed (without much resolution), and 1P v8 is well and truly out of beta by now, but there seems to have been no movement on some desperately needed improvements to masked mail integration.

The primary problem is that when 1Password fails to detect a sign-up page (which happens pretty often in my experience), then there's no way to create a new masked mail except for manually through the fastmail interface. Then when you do that, there's no way to input that address into 1Password so that integration is enabled.

Two solutions proposed:

• Allow manually creating a masked mail to attach to a login in the app
  • Allow adding an existing masked mail to a login and enabling integration.

Either of these would solve the problem, but it feels a bit like this feature has been created half baked and then forgotten about.

The closest thing to a suggested fix I've seen is the suggestion that users should report web-pages where 1P fails to detect a sign-up. Not exactly a solution to the problem.

Any chance of an update on whether this issue is likely to be fixed? Or has the masked mail concept become something like abandonware now?

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 12.6.8
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @skeo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our masked email feature.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to manually create a masked email. I have passed all of your suggestions and feedback on to our product team for consideration. In the meantime, as you have suggested, if masked emails aren't being suggested on specific pages please point us at these so we can get these filed with our development team to look to make improvements here.

Whilst I can't make any promises as to when this will be implemented I recommend staying up to date with the latest versions of 1Password so you get all our new features and improvements.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB34939077

• skeo
    skeo
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the reply @steph.giles. While a generic response of "we can't promise anything" is a little disappointing, it's better than being ignored I guess.

Is there any quick and easy way of reporting websites that don't work?
    I can't find anything like a "report this website" button in the app or the extension, so am I supposed to just post on the forum or email or something? Neither of those options are very appealing. I have come across a dozen websites in the last week alone where 1P fails to offer to create a masked mail, and it just doesn't seem like it's worth my while to go to a lot of effort to report them all, especially when I'm only likely to need the function in the moment, and then after it hasn't worked and I've had to manually make one, it doesn't help me to have that specific website fixed at a later date.

The vast majority of failures have been for contact forms on websites, when I'm not actually creating a sign in, but I am giving a business an email address, which I would like to be a masked one. And then I would like to save that email against the business name in 1password for future reference (and disabling if required). In each of these cases 1password will recognise a text box asking for an email address and then provide a menu of nothing to choose from. It would be so easy to have a "create masked email" in that menu instead of nothing, but instead nothing.

Here's an example from today, where I am actually making a new account on a website, 1password even correctly provides a suggested password in the password box, but won't provide a masked email in the email box directly above it. Very very broken indeed.

https://florsheim.com.au

• skeo
    skeo
    Community Member
    Options

What's even more frustrating... in looking around the app trying to find a "report this page" button. I came across the changelog that says "1Password now hides competing sign-in prompts while browsing so you can use your saved credentials."

I had turned off auto-fill in safari because it always blocked the 1P menu, so I thought great! I'll try that out.

Turned auto-fill back on in safari, and not only does 1P not hide the safari menu, which still covers and blocks the empty 1P menu like it always did, but safari is correctly offering to make an icloud email alias for me, on the same page where 1P fails to provide an option to create a masked mail.

It honestly feels like your logic around false positives and false negatives is backward. If 1P offered to make a masked mail in every box on every website, I wouldn't care, I could just ignore that option. But since it seems to need to have decided that one is required before it will offer one, it's INCREDIBLY annoying every single time that decision is made wrong, especially considering there is then no other way to make one.

This discussion has been closed.