Web Launcher Feature

Options

Hello I am very satisfied of the 1Password solution that I use for many years. One thing, I think that is missing from my point of view is a kind of web launcher or a better integration with the web browser experience when launching an URL. For instance, when navigating in the web browser of your choice, when you want to launch an application, then you have to go to 1Password (the one in the web browser - I think the name is MINI) and then you have to search your application inside 1Password mini (among 400 logins) and then click autofill to launch your application. As an alternative, you can also use the 1Password app but this one is not running in the web browser, so you have to search in the different desktops where is 1P app and then search among 400 logins in 1P and finally launch the autofill. What I am saying, the autofill is great but still there is a gap between the 1P application organisation and the browser organisation. Okay, you can say that I can use my bookmarks in the browser to organize them into groups of bookmarks and then pick the one I l want and wait until is am asked for the password and use the the autofill to launch my application. But still I need to do a lot of manipulations to organize the urls into groups into bookmarks ... In fact what I would like to see (but I don't if this possible or maybe this already exists), I want to see the list of vaults or groups in my new tab (or the first page) in my browser and then click on the application of my choice and boom I come to my application directly. I found a good approach in a free extension called "Favorites - new Tab Page" on Chrome (see https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/favorites-new-tab-page/kjkbcegjfanmgocnecnngfcmmojheiam) BUT I still have to organize my groups of applications and finally this is a way of re-defining groups that are different from 1P. Am I the only one asking for this kind of feature ? See below some examples of Favorites.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: 13.4.1
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hey @smartboy,

Thank you for you feedback on ways in which we can improve 1Password. I have a couple of suggestions that you may find useful:

1. Set frequently used logins as Favorites, that way you can set 1Password in the browser to open to Favorites and Open and Fill these items from here. To add an item to your Favorites click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and locate the item > choose the 3 dots in the right hand corner > choose 'Add to Favorites'. In addition, I suggest right clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings and then change 'Open 1Password to' to Favorites.

2. If you would rather Open and fill your items from your 1Password app, you can organise them using collections. Here is our guide with more detail: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Steph, I will read your reco. I am already using favorites. Btw, I think collections are interesting to investigate. So if I understand you : your start point is always 1Password application and not the browser ?

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the collections and yes this is a really good idea : I can group together different vault contents and then when I click on a collection I only see a list of logins. And I see the idea to start creating different collections that groups all the applications that I need. However, the next step is to use a browser to connect to 1Password web server and then display all my collections and connect from here to my applications. Unfortunately, from the web app (https://my.1password.com/home), you cannot visualize your collections... Maybe this will come in the future ...

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@smartboy I recommend you don't start your browsing from within 1Password. Instead, use the favorites/bookmark function of your browser. Add every website you visit to the browser favorites, no matter if they require a login or not, and ignore 1Password favorites. Make sure you have the browser extension installed.

Now start browsing by choosing the website from the browser favorites. If the website happens to require a login, 1Password will automatically offer autofill for exactly that login and you just have to click once to perform the autofill. Instead of switching between apps, 1Password is just assisting in a very non intrusive way.

This way you don't need to search anything - all you need to do is using your browser favorites. There is also no need to switch between apps or between browser and browser plugin dialog windows - everything is happening implicitly within the website login. Browsers usually have a better way to present favorites to you - you can pin items to some favorites toolbar, and you can organize your favorites in a hierarchical way, so if you're the organized type, you can navigate fast to your item instead of searching.

In 1Password, I don't mirror the bookmark organization I use in the browser. In 1Password, I have every login I ever created, but in the browser bookmarks, I only have the websites I frequently visit. So in my browser bookmarks, I have a somewhat flat group organization. In 1Password, I organize my items with about 25 tags. In my browser startpage organization for which I use an extension called Speed Dial 2 https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/speed-dial-2-new-tab/jpfpebmajhhopeonhlcgidhclcccjcik which is probably similar to your extension, I have 5 groups with each about 10 items only.
    I also have a gigantic hiearchical bookmark tree in my browser where I file every website I visit more than twice, but that's a heap with mostly outdated links I use only seldom.

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

@Tertius3, Thanks for your answer. In fact "Speed Dial 2" is very similar to "Favorites New Tab" that I use. And my point is that I have to describe 2 trees here : one in 1P for the passwords and one in my browser. You mentioned that it is better to have "2 organisations" : one in 1P and the another one in browsers. I think this is double effort. Especially when you are using multiple browsers. And especially when you have thousands of logins and links like you and me. For the moment, like you I have separate organisations between browsers and 1P. And this is meaning of this post : how to organise all these links to be more efficient. I think there is an opportunity here for 1P to provide a web launcher in the browser that is a combination of 1P and the browser bookmarks. But may be there is no real attraction to this kind of feature ... :-)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@smartboy I never ever thought about launching websites from within 1Password. That's not what 1Password is made for. In all my internet life, I have only used the browser bookmark functionality.
    I also use just one browser (Chrome), because keeping customizations synchronized across browsers is tedious and there's no point in that. I have an alternate browser installed (Firefox), but this is only a fallback when some webpage doesn't work with Chrome. However, in the last years I didn't encounter any website that works with Firefox but not with Chrome. But just in case.

Organizing within 1Password is a completely different thing (mentally, for me) than organizing browser bookmarks. The vast amount of websites don't need a login, so they would never be in 1Password. And there are items in 1Password that don't refer to a browser login. And there are different organizing criteria for 1Password than for browser bookmark library.

The launcher you're searching for is probably the browser start page for me. The synchronization between browser and 1Password is the browser plugin, which pops up for autofill assist whenever a login or a password change is detected. That's just the right amount of integration between both.

• smartboy
    smartboy
    Community Member
    Options

@tertius3 Thanks for your answers. I understand your position. Maybe I am trying to mix different concepts (organizing/launching applications and filling passwords) that you see as incompatible (or at least very different). My approach is more production oriented (I don't want to have thousands of links in one organization on one side and also thousands of passwords in another one. I can understand that I have some differences between them but I would see some expansion on that point in the future: not only for personal use but also for the enterprise use (especially when you manage tons of VMs or computers, applications ...). I am working in the IT and I really think that there is a need there. Let's see what's gonna happen.

This discussion has been closed.