Am I right that some iOS apps will never play nice with 1Password?

Options
AntonioM
AntonioM
Community Member

So far I've been able to train 1Password to work seamlessly with most apps, but there do seem to be exceptions. I've had particular problems with the apps I use for banking. I got them working, but I was forced to manually enter the password and go through various security confirmation steps and was never given the option to have 1Password autofill. So, again, my title question: am I right that some iOS apps will never play nice with 1Password?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 16.5
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @AntonioM

We do hear about iOS apps that don't work well with autofilling, and this is usually because:

• the app doesn't have an "Associated Domain", such as twitter.com for the Twitter app, and as such, neither iOS nor 1Password know what items to suggest, or
    • the app actively blocks autofilling into its fields, or
    • the app actively blocks copy/pasting into its fields, or
    • similar anti-autofill measures, or a combination of the above.

If you find that apps are behaving like this, it's usually best to provide that feedback directly to their developers through their App Store listing, letting them know that their app isn't compatible with autofill. In particular, they should be following Apple's guidelines for iOS developers, found here:

Password AutoFill | Apple Developer Documentation

Apps which don't follow those guidelines will usually not allow autofill, so in those cases you may have to copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password.

Unfortunately, it is quite often banking and other financial apps which are the most reluctant to follow these guidelines, and as a result, cause the most difficulties in using autofill. We wrote An open letter to banks some time ago, and its main points are still relevant today.

We're optimistic about the future in this regard, and we'd like to think that banks and other financial institutions will see the benefit in not preventing their customers from autofilling strong random passwords. There's still resistance to it in places, but I'm personally hopeful we see a change in approach in the near future. :)

— Grey

• clarino
    clarino
    Community Member
    Options

I had this same question and first looked at your documentation and, not finding an explanation, came here and spent time searching for people asking the question, wondering how far back I should go through questions before coming to answers that were too old to be accurate, etc.

In order to spare others from this same process, please make this answer part of your documentation. Grey's answer is very good. I'm not asking you to change it. Just take the entire answer as written and make it official so it doesn't have to be asked again.

• @clarino

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that you found Grey's post to be helpful.

Some of what Grey mentioned has been documented here: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

I'll let our documentation team know that you suggested adding some more detail there. 🙂

-Dave

• @bugwhat

Yes, Password AutoFill not suggesting a login but still filling a login when you search for it can be caused by an app not including an associated domain. Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If an app doesn't include an associated domain then I suggest reaching out to that app's developer as suggested by Grey in their post above.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.