Unable to fill into Safari after updating to macOS Ventura

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Universal autofill not working Ventura OS 13.5.1.

Comments

• mcyoura
    mcyoura
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this autofill issue also, but with latest version of Safari. Also 1Password for Safari, which was updated 2 days ago and was working fine, has stopped working since I updated to this latest Ventura update. I, too, have quit Safari, 1 Password and rebooted computer twice. No joy.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 81009046, on PRODUCTION channel
    Extension Version: 2.14.0
    OS Version: Version 13.5.1 (22G90)
    Browser: Safari 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2)

• pct196
    pct196
    Community Member
    Options

@mcyoura I am having this problem after upgrading to 13.5.1 (22G90) as well. I assume it is an os issue as I'm having problems with ALL browsers.

1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
    Extension Version: 2.14.0
    OS Version: Version 13.5.1 (22G90)
    Safari: Version 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2)
    Chrome: Version 116.0.5845.96 (Official Build) (arm64)

Can we get some folks liking this to get some attention on it from the 1Password team please?

• pct196
    pct196
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

The 1Password folks have said this is a known issue. Here are the details from their email:

I can confirm it is a known issue you are experiencing and our devs are fully aware of and are currently investigating. Hopefully, the issue would be patched up soon. Meanwhile, can you try the following steps to see if we could get things back on track: 

1. Open & unlock the 1Password desktop app by manually typing your account password. Leave it running in the background. 
    2. Open your browser(s) and right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar. 
    3. Select Settings.
    4. In the General section, turn off Integrate with 1Password app.
    5. Scroll down to the "Accounts & Vaults" section or click it on the left side panel.
    6. Find the account(s) there, and click the three-dot icon to select Sign Out
    7. Turn back on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option as we disabled in step 4 above.
      • Wait a few seconds and see if the account(s) signed in the desktop app would be added in the browser automatically

I apologize in advance if the above steps didn't help either. Suppose that is the case. Let's disable the integration option temporarily, as mentioned in step 4 above, and use 1Password in the browser independently before the update fixes the issue and the autofill function should be working properly. However, we will need to unlock 1Password in the browser separately until the issue is resolved. 

So, I want to share a quick way of unlocking 1Password in the browser by using the Universal Autofill feature of the 1Password 8 desktop app. I am using Safari as the demo here:

1. Open & unlock 1Password 8 desktop app.
    2. Open Safari. 1Password for Safari is locked as the integration feature is turned off.
    3. Click the 1Password for Safari icon in the toolbar area to bring up the window to unlock.
    4. Hit the "cmd + \" shortcut to bring up the Quick Access window of 1Password 8. Search for your 1Password account login item and hit enter to "Autofill".
    5. You will see the password is filled and submitted in the login window of 1Password for Safari.

I also created a demo GIF to show you the process:

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to @pct196

This procedure has remedied 1Password for Safari (without app integration - direct via web) for my setup. Thanks!

I did test re-enabling app integration to see if it works - but it puts 1Password for Safari back in a broken state. So to sum up, disabling integration, signing out, and signing back in to 1Password for Safari direct via web works - but enabling app integration breaks it entirely.

• truedmik
    truedmik
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have exactly the same problem. In short, the extension version 2.14.0 is simply not usable with Safari. Same symptoms, nothing helps. The 1Password guys seem to have completely broken it. @ankushnarula can you please tell me how to downgrade it on M1/Ventura? I'm in a desperate need.

PS. Oops, mixed two forum threads. The downgrade is in another one. Sorry, I figured out how to do that anyway (using a Time Machine backup).

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

@trudmik no worries - here's what I did:

1) Disable the 2.14 extension in Safari preferences and close Safari
    2) Pull up your Applications folder and select 1Password for Safari
    3) Use Time Machine to restore 1Password for Safari 2.13 (for me this was Aug 16)
    4) Relaunch Safari and re-enable 1Password for Safari
    5) Right-click on 1Password for Safari button and click Settings
    6) Ensure to disable "Integrate with 1Password app"
    7) Scroll down to Accounts & Vaults and Sign Out of your 1Password account(s)
    8) Sign back into your 1Password account (it will redirect to sign in via web - not local app)
    9) Upon completion - make sure the account and correct vaults appear in Settings
    10) Close Settings and click 1Password icon in Safari and enter password if required
    11) Navigate to a site with saved login and test 1Password autofill

Let me know if this works and/or if I missed any steps (this is approximate from my head)

• Hey folks 2.14.1 should be available. Please check for updates and be sure to re-enable the integration if you disabled it.

• andan
    andan
    Community Member
    Options

2.14.1 resolved it for me. Thanks!

• @andan

I'm happy to hear that the latest update resolved the issue for you. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.