Confused about browser integration with 1PW 8

Options

Having recently upgraded from 1PW 7 to 8, I find I am confounded by the way it integrates into browsers. I'm on a Mac, running Ventura, and have Safari, Chrome, and Firefox installed. 1PW is set to start at login. When I open a browser and get to the login fields of a site, the behavior seems inconsistent.

Example: When clicking on the User ID field of a site, I usually see the "Use 1Password" prompt. Clicking on that brings up the 1PW login window -- I'll enter my password, the window disappears and then nothing -- the drop-down that usually appear under User ID does not appear. But then sometime later, it might magically show up. I cannot figure out any pattern to it, or if the behavior is limited to Safari. It seems like if I manually open the 1Password app, then minimize it, things work as expected in all browsers.

Wondering if anyone can explain how this is SUPPOSED to work? I don't recall ever having this issue with 7. Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @videojanitor,

The expected behaviour is that 1Password in your browser shares the lock state of your 1Password app. It sounds like your 1Password app could be having a hard time connecting with 1Password for Safari.

If you right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Settings' can you let me know what it says underneath the 'Integrate with 1Password app' setting? is there a green 🟢 Connected icon?

In addition, if you open and unlock your 1Password app and then open Safari, do things then work as expected?

• videojanitor
    videojanitor
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I checked the settings that you mentioned and the slider for "Integrate with 1Password app" is switched "on," and there is a green "connected" icon.

If I close Safari completely, open and unlock 1Password, then launch Safari, it works as expected. Or at least it did the two times I tried it -- could be a coincidence. If there's anything else you'd like me to check, I'll be happy to do so.

• Thanks for getting back to me @videojanitor and confirming this.

Can you also check the following settings and then let me know if you are still seeing inconsistent behaviour with using 1Password in Safari:

Make sure 1Password is allowed to run in the background:

1. Click the 1Password icon in the menu bar and select “Quit”.
    2. Right-click your browser in your dock and select “Quit”.
    3. Click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen and select “System Settings”.
    4. Click “General” > “Login items”.
    5. Ensure 1Password is enabled under ‘Allow in background’.

Check 1Password is present in the menu bar:

1. Open and unlock your 1Password desktop app
    2. In the left hand corner click on your account > Settings
    3. Make sure 'Keep 1Password in the menu bar is checked'

Let me know how you get on after following these steps and if you continue to have trouble.

• videojanitor
    videojanitor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I performed those steps, though everything was already set as you specified. I did however run into one thing that could possibly point to the cause. Under "Login items," I see two different entries for 1Password. The first one appears to be left over from version 7, based on the filename shown. I'll attach a picture below. It's not immediately obvious how to remove this, so if you have any tips, I'd appreciate hearing them.

• videojanitor
    videojanitor
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Update: I decided to do a full uninstall of 1Password, then reinstalled. That removed the 1Password 7 entry in "allow in background," and seems to have eliminated the hit-and-miss problem I was experiencing.

• Thank you for the update @videojanitor.

I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but let us know if you run into any further issues at all.

This discussion has been closed.