about wi-fi synching, again

Rococoo
Rococoo
Community Member

I'm sorry guys but I do not buy the argument that you had to give up on wi fi syncing because it was hard to troubleshoot and support.

In that case, you should have allowed it together with these other syncing options and let everyone to choose what they are the most comfortable doing. If someone had problem setting up the wireless synching than they can go with Dropbox or iCloud as easier choice for them. The USB will not be my option either since it is a prolonged way with extra steps involved in comparison to wifi.

I have never for one second had a wifi synching problem. Im choosing to stick to the older version of 1pw until either you give us back wifi or someone else makes a nice secure app that allows wifi synching and I switch to it. Whichever comes first. Removing important features in any new version is a wrong judgment and disrespect to your old customers.

You can never make me to believe that keeping my very important data on someone else's server is secure as my home system. Passwords are not something that I can be casual about and I do not wish to store them by hoping for the best.

Comments

• mike123
    mike123
    Community Member

I have to agree. I was happy using the previous version of 1password for a while so much that i upgraded (without really looking at the updates.. my bad). But to the coders.. i have to say if i had known that the new version did not allow for wifi syncing i would not have paid for the upgrade and would have stayed with the previous version or gone elsewhere. i am mighty annoyed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like you are already aware of some of what I will be saying, but I want to be clear for folks just joining this thread. Wi-Fi syncing never made it into version 4 since it was very brittle. You can review the Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide yourself to see just how many things could go wrong.

And this list didn't cover everything as we still have customers with unusual network configurations and have never been able to sync via the old Wi-Fi method. It's very frustrating to the users and for us.

There are some valid use cases at the moment where direct sync is needed, though. For example, a really nice fellow from China emailed us explaining that the Great Firewall prevents all Dropbox access and he's been using Wi-Fi syncing as a workaround until iCloud syncing is available for Mac. We told him to keep using version 3 for now until iCloud support is available for Mac.

Then there's the user experience itself: even when Wi-Fi worked it was cumbersome. You had to start 1Password on each device and trigger the sync. If you added new accounts and forgot to sync (or remembered to sync one device but not the other), you'd be without your data.

For 4 years, all we heard about Wi-Fi sync was that it is a huge source of problems and disappointment for our customers. We rewrote 1Password from the ground up for version 4. There is no code shared with version 3. Re-implementing Wi-Fi sync again was never on the list. It may have worked well for you, but we need a solution that works for millions of users not just a few "lucky" ones.

The iTunes File Sharing is more secure than Wi-Fi sync and does not have any of its connectivity issues. It is less convenient though. So we looked at ways to make things easier and have now rolled out USB syncing in beta form.

If you cannot or will not use Dropbox, you will be able to use iCloud in the new year when it's available on Mac. If you are unable or unwilling to use iCloud and Dropbox and the iTunes File Sharing doesn't suit your needs, USB syncing is a great option.

We're always evaluating new sync options, and we are very pleased to continue to offer a solution via USB where you can sync without relying on a central server but without all the heartache that Wi-Fi caused.

If you are unhappy in any way, please contact us directly with your App Store receipt:

support@ agilebits .com

As we do not operate the App Store we are unable to refund your money directly. Our intrepid customer support team will be happy to explain the options available to receive a refund if that is something you would like to pursue.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• Rococoo
    Rococoo
    Community Member

I really do not know what difficulties with wifi synching are you guys talking about. I'm reading many people's comments here who were happy to use local wifi. If it was a problem to you, it was not for many of us.

"We rewrote 1Password from the ground up for version 4. There is no code shared with version 3."
    Its clear that you cannot fix this problem now even if you want it to. You are desperately trying to prove something that you have decided to do incorrectly without hearing customers needs.

Before you started with developing 1P 4 you should have read these and many more:
    http://www.infoworld.com/t/cloud-security/apple-icloud-breach-proves-wozniaks-point-about-cloud-risks-199450
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120515006625/en/Fraunhofer-Security-deficits-Dropbox-Mozy
    http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/aussie-exposes-icloud-flaw-but-apple-stays-silent-20120806-23pmx.html

I guess now is too late since you wanted to be trendy instead of reliable.

I will contact you for reimbursement as soon as I see another app that understand the real world a bit better. Until then, I will be using 1P 3 not 4.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

How secure is 1Password?

I won't bore you with all the details of the AES-encrypted, PBKDF2-strengthened Agile Keychain Format which uses a combination of the OpenSSL library, CommonCrypto, or Windows cryptography libraries (depending on platform and version) for all of its encryption and key generation needs. You can read about that in our Agile Keychain Design document:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html

But one of the best ways to show just how strongly 1Password protects your data is by pitting it against the pre-eminent password cracking tool John the Ripper. We've did just that not too long ago:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/07/31/1password-is-ready-for-john-the-ripper/

So is it safe to store 1Password data in the cloud?

Your secrets in your 1Password data are safe wherever they are stored. Although we don’t recommend making your 1Password database publicly available to the world, we have designed it so that your username and password data (along with other secret data stored within it) is protected no matter whose hands they fall into. For this and other reasons we are very confident when we recommend cloud syncing of 1Password data with Dropbox. Our "Security of storing 1Password data in the Cloud" document goes into increasing detail about the security measures in place and issues surrounding them.

Some of the key points from the document:

1. Your master password is never transmitted from your computer or device.
    2. All 1Password decryption and encryption is performed on your computer or device.
    3. The 1Password data format was designed to withstand sophisticated attacks if it fell into the wrong hands (cf. John the Ripper blog post above).
    4. Dropbox provides an additional layer of encryption.

But is cloud syncing required?

Cloud syncing is not required. If you are cloud averse for any reason, USB syncing is available. USB syncing is much faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi syncing ever was, and it doesn't require you to manually open 1Password on your device and computer. Just plug it in and sync.

If none of the above is helpful to you, and you still want a refund, we stand behind our money back guarantee. Please do be in touch.

This discussion has been closed.