Have to Keep Resetting Things

Options
bayoyong
bayoyong
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi. Since upgrading to 1P8 (which I love), I must keep resetting certain things...namely, I have to keep choosing a specific vault in both the menubar and Safari (it keeps going back to all vaults). And it always seems to revert to concealing all my passwords. Even though I have set these default changes in Settings (1P and 1P Safari). Is this a bug?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: 13.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hello @bayoyong! 👋

Which vaults you have available may be different in both the app and the browser extension since both work a little differently at the moment. We're working to introduce more consistency with future updates.

For the 1Password 8 for Mac desktop app you can use collections to choose which vaults are currently available. You can read more about collections here: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

1Password in the browser doesn't yet support collections but you can choose which vaults are used by following these steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar.
    3. Click General.
    4. Choose which vault you'd like to see for new items by changing "Save new items in".
    5. Click Accounts & Vaults.
    6. Choose which vaults you'd like to have available in the browser going forward.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

And it always seems to revert to concealing all my passwords.

Is this in the desktop app or the browser extension?

-Dave

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I've done all of that. These features are doing what I say on the desktop app and browser extension. TY.

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Screen video attached.

• @bayoyong

Thank you for the screen recording, that helps me understand what you're seeing on your end. It looks like you're looking at two different things:

• In the browser extension you're selecting a vault named "JKK".
    • In Quick Access you're selecting a collection named "JKK".

A collection is a group of vaults and you must have created a collection named "JKK" at some point which is also the name of a vault that you have in your account. Collections aren't supported by, or visible in, the browser extension yet but I'm hopeful that this is something that will be added in the future.

When you click on the "JKK" vault in the browser extension you're letting the browser extension know that you'd like to temporarily switch to that vault in order to look for items in that vault. However this selection is only temporary and the next time that you click on the extension pop-up you'll be reverted back to whatever accounts and vaults that you have selected in Extension > Settings > Accounts & Vaults.

This is done so that, if you want to temporarily look into one vault using the browser extension, you won't only receive suggestions from that one vault for websites that you want to log into until you remember to change the selected vault in the future.

I can definitely see the utility of having the extension support collections and to have the same collection be selected in both Quick Access and the browser extension. I've filed a feature request on your behalf to show the product team that you'd like to see this in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-32716677

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Thx, Dave. That makes more sense. I still have my vault chosen in the Extension > Settings > Accounts and Vaults. But it still reverts to none chosen each time.

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Any advice?

• @bayoyong

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. It looks like you've opened 1Password in the browser's pop-up while on the extension's settings page. Coupled with the fact that you're viewing Suggestions means that the screen that you're seeing is correct: 1Password wouldn't have any suggestions to show on the extension settings page since the extension settings page is not a website that you're storing a login for.

You can view other items by clicking where it says Suggestions and selecting All Items:

You can choose what 1Password shows by default by following these steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Choose the desired option next to "Open 1Password to"

I hope that helps.

-Dave

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Thx, Dave. That wasn't really my questions. Here are my questions again:

1. How do I set it so that I don't have to keep choosing a particular vault to view in the 1P Safari Extension? I have only one vault selected in Settings, but it keeps pulling up the 1P icon. I then have to click then and then choose the vault I want. Otherwise, I see every vault's suggestion.

1. I would like to have all my passwords and credit card numbers revealed w/o having to hit Reveal every time. Even when I have it checked in Settings, I still have to do it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• @bayoyong

Thank you for clarifying. If you've turned off certain vaults from the settings page of the 1Password browser extension then you shouldn't see items from those vaults in your suggestions even if the entire account is selected in the extension's pop-up window.

Can you try the following test:

1. Create an item called "SupportTest" in one of the vaults that you turned off in 1Password in the browser, such as "DONTUSE".
    2. In your browser click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and search for "SupportTest".

Do you see the item? If you do then can you please post a screenshot of what you see, make sure that nothing sensitive is shown in the screenshot.

I would like to have all my passwords and credit card numbers revealed w/o having to hit Reveal every time. Even when I have it checked in Settings, I still have to do it.

It looks like you posted a screenshot of the desktop app's settings. Are you trying to reveal passwords in the desktop app or the browser extension? Those settings will only affect the desktop app.

-Dave

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave, thanks for the quick response. I will answer the reveal/conceal question first. I sent you a screenshot of the desktop app b/c the 1P Safari extension settings do not show an option to choose reveal/conceal other than "Manage settings in the 1P desktop app" - which I have checked.

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

I created SupportTest. I searched for it in Safari 1P. It did not find it.

• bayoyong
    bayoyong
    Community Member
    Options

But when I click on a field, say, to autofill a credit from 1P within Safari, it pulls up all the cc's from every vault.

This discussion has been closed.