Chrome not giving code

Options
RCMjr
RCMjr
Community Member

I recently switched from Safari to Chrome. In Safari, when I logged onto various sites that required me to enter a code that was texted to me, it would come through, and I could simply click on the code, and the browser would fill in the box with those numbers for me. Now that I'm on Chrome, I have to hand-enter those numbers. The text comes through, but there isn't a way for me to click on it with the code.

Is there a setting I can change for this to happen? It's not just one site where this happens.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 13.5.1
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @RCMjr

Autofilling one-time codes from text messages is a Safari feature, rather than a 1Password feature, and it uses the Messages app on your Mac to pull the codes from your iPhone's Messages app. Only Safari can do that, since Apple integrated that feature for their own browser, and no other browser can do it automatically. In another browser, you'll have to copy and paste from the Messages app into the page.

It's worth mentioning that SMS-based one-time passwords are not particularly secure, and if you're able to set up an authenticator app for a website, then 1Password can be that authenticator:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

I realise that not all the websites that use SMS-based one-time passwords will support authenticator apps (particularly more slow-moving ones like finance and government), but if you have the choice, I would strongly recommend changing over where you can.

1Password can autofill those one-time passwords in any supported browser where you have the 1Password extension installed, with no finagling with another app required. :)

— Grey

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the information.

Chip

• You're welcome @RCMjr, happy to help.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with!

This discussion has been closed.