Is it possible to programmatically set preferences?

Options
romz
romz
Community Member
edited August 2023 in CLI

Hi,

I'm trying to automate a macOS setup as much as possible, and I'd like to figure out if 1Password can be configured from a script.

I found that most preferences are stored in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/settings/settings.json.

Editing this file manually seems to work for some preferences (like setting the appearance to compact/comfortable), but does not work for others (like connect with 1Password CLI).

It would be great, in particular, if one could connect the app to the CLI programmatically, without requiring to manually check a box in the UI.

Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @romz , this is currently not possible because that setting is intentionally protected by us. That means you can only change it through the desktop app, and any attempts coming from outside the app will be denied. This is to prevent an attacker using out own op cli tool against the user by authorising account access to it without the user ever explicitly agreeing to it. So changing that setting programatically will unfortunately not be possible, for your own safety.

This discussion has been closed.