Passkeys now require interactive click instead of automatically "filling"

Options

In extension versions prior to 2.14.2, users did not have to do anything other than initiate a sign in by passkey for 1Password to "autofill" it, assuming the extension itself was unlocked. In 2.14.2, passkeys now require an extra click to proceed.

Can this behavior please be customizable? Makes such a difference in speed/flow.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

I saw in a post a few days ago (I don't remember which, there are many about passkeys going) that the button 'Sign In' that shows in the popup when trying to sign in, was added to prevent a website from prompting a login possibly without consent. But can't this be optional?

Having to pick a passkey when you have multiple for the same site is a must, but when there is only one, having that extra click makes it annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: 2.14.2
    OS Version: Windows 11
    Browser: Brave

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for customizability.

The integration on macOS (Safari) has been working quite well for me and I have accepted the current integration paradigm for the time being, but the extra click should be customizable.

It should remain a default off option though.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

The extra click is a lot more preferable in my opinion.

1. It makes things more obvious to the end user as to what is happening.

2. If you have multiple passkeys stored for different accounts for the same service then then allows you to use a key that's not the first one that shows up. Otherwise key 2 onwards are inaccessible!

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @michaelyork, @loggor, and @ianto! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. Signing in with a passkey requires that you first confirm the sign in for two big reasons:

1. As rctneil mentioned, it allows you to choose which passkey to use in a situation where you might have multiple accounts for the same website.
    2. Without user confirmation it would be possible for a website to trigger an automatic login without your consent. This can pose privacy and security implications for websites that you might want to temporarily browse anonymously without logging in right away.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 35434495
    ref: 35434545

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P To me in particular, at least changing the button position on the screen would help. What bothers me is that you have a form in the center of the screen and need to click on something all the way to the other side. Can't there be an option to change the passkey popup, let's say, pick for it to show at the corners (top-right, bottom-right) or at the center (like the popup to update credentials)?

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/693248#Comment_693248

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

A keyboard shortcut for approving the login would also be very useful.

This discussion has been closed.