Security of the extension on a Chromebook ?

Options

Hello !

Until recently, I was mostly on a Mac, and when I used 1Password, it was from the software, not an extension and when I didn’t need it, I would lock it right away.

Now on a Chromebook, the two options are using the Android version, or the Chrome browser extension.

I’m just wondering how secure is the browser version, since it’s always open. Isn’t there a higher risk for my passwords ?

How secure is using that extension like that, versus when using the software like I did before ? Can a malicious website have access to all of my passwords ?

It may be a silly question, but I just want to be sure to be as safe as possible.

Thanks !

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chromebook
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hey @Hawksir,

I appreciate you erring on the side of caution when it comes to keeping your data safe.

1Password in the browser will only fill your credentials on a website if you tell it to do so by either clicking on the inline menu suggestions, clicking 'Autofill' from the browser extension or by using a keyboard shortcut to fill. The website itself doesn't have access to your 1Password data.

When you say the browser version is always open, you can lock it at anytime by right clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choosing lock. You can also set it to lock automatically after a period of time, here's how: How to set 1Password to lock automatically.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.