Feature Request: Generate Masked Email

Options
Garbee
Garbee
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Currently, the masked email generation (as provided by the Fastmail integration) only works when it is detected inside a new account creation form. It would be great to have the ability to generate a new address on-the-fly. For example, by using the 1Password extension dropdown to generate an address tied to the current domain.

This would allow, for example, people to sign up for mailing lists or other potentially dubious lists using a masked email without needing to go back to Fastmail's interface to generate it. One site for software as an example use-case is https://www.rewind.ai/use-case/engineering. I'd like to just generate an on-the-fly address to give to them. Since I can't make a full account right away. Then later I can graduate that into a complete login.

Another (or potentially perhaps the only place you'd want to do it) option for implementation would be creating a login and after the domain is set offer the ability to generate a masked email to it.

1Password Version: 8.10.16 Beta
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: macOS 13.5.1
Browser: Orion RC

Comments

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I love to use the Masked Email feature of 1Password and Fastmail. I use it for almost every online account I have.

Creating a masked email address is generally very easy. But 1Password does not recognize the fields on every website where you can change your email address or when creating a new account.

To fix that I would like the ability to manually create a masked email address from the 1Password apps and extensions.

This is how it should work then:
    1. Search for the item in your vault you want to edit.
    2. Click on the item and select “edit”.
    3. Above the username field, click on the email address field and then select “generate masked email address”.

If 1Password made a change like this, it might also make it easier to add support for SimpleLogin or other masked email services.

• Hey @Garbee, @Martijnn,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

I agree that it would be a useful feature to be able to manually created a masked email. I have passed all of your feedback and suggestions on to our product team for consideration in future updates. Thank you for the level of detail you have provided.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB35664595

This discussion has been closed.