Nightly update fails

Options

Recently, the last few weeks, quite frequently I get an error message that the update has not completed and 1P has rolled back to the previous edition. Normally the next time I try it, it works but sometimes it takes a few goes. It doesn't make any difference whether I manually cause the download by clicking on the update button or I receive a message to restart 1P. It does not make a difference if it is the nightly update or a Beta update. I've had the issue with both, though obviously more with the nightly update.
Not critical but slightly annoying.

1Password Version: Nightly
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @Andrew42! ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when updating 1Password. Is it possible that you have antivirus or other security software running that might be interfering with 1Password on your Windows PC? If you do then can you add 1Password's installation directory to your antivirus/security software's allow or ignore list?

The next time that the update fails can you see if you're able to update using Safe Mode? This would tell us if there's another app interfering with the update process since Safe Mode launches your PC without those apps running.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I use ESET Internet Security. The following path is what I have entered as a detection exception:-
    C:\Users\Alwyn.1password*
    Does that look right to you?

• @Andrew42

I would suggest excluding/allowing the following:

1. The entire installation folder, %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password - full path: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password\ where Username is replaced with your Windows username.

2. The exe file, 1Password.exe, found at: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe where Username is replaced with your Windows username.

Let me know if you still see the issue after doing this and I can help further. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Done. I'll see how that works.

• Let us know if you still see the issue on the next update and we can go from there. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P . Made no difference. Failed again the first time today.

• @Andrew42

I'm sorry that you still run into the issue. You said that it failed the first time, after you tried to update a second time did that second attempt succeed?

If it didn't then can you try to update 1Password after booting Windows into Safe Mode: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows - Microsoft Support

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

This error does not happen every time there is an update. Probably about one in three. When it happens I go to "Check for Updates" and re-run. This forces a new download which then normally works. I have no idea whether the problem is caused by a faulty download the first time. I get the message that a new version will be installed when I restart 1P. I try it and when it fails I go to "Check for Updates", as mentioned

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Andrew42

Thank you for clarifying. So that I can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Wilco. But I'm away for a few days. Is the report better immediately after a failure? I so I will run it next time the failure occurs.

• @Andrew42

If you have a good idea of the time please submit that and we can look within the report for corresponding entries. You can also run it upon failure if you wish. Safe journeys.

• @Andrew42

That sounds like a good plan. We'll keep an eye out for your email when it comes in. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.