To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2FA for 1Password account protection questions

Options
break80
break80
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

I set up 2FA for 1Password account protection using the Microsoft Authenticator. It seems to work as the documentation says but I have other questions.

1. The install completed so quickly that I am now not sure what I need and don't need to keep 1Password running on our two laptops and two iPhones (mine and my wife). Unfortunately I did NOT retain the QR code so I can't get back to it. From reading about it, it seems I have to cancel 2FA, then reinstate it to get a new QR code which I will retain this time. Is this correct?

2. While 1Password continued to work on my laptop, when I logged in on my iPhone I had to enter the Microsoft Authenticator's 6 digit code to open 1Password. I expected that. When I closed and reopened I did not need the MSA code. Is that normal? Under what circumstances will I need the MSA code again?

3. When she tries to open 1Password on her (wife) computer or iPhone, will she need the MSA from my phone too? Do you recommend I set this up on her iPhone too?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: Windows 11, 10.0.22621
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

Since no one responded, did I put this discussion in the wrong location (Knowledgebase)?

• @break80

I did NOT retain the QR code so I can't get back to it. From reading about it, it seems I have to cancel 2FA, then reinstate it to get a new QR code which I will retain this time. Is this correct?

Yes, this is what I have done in the past.

When I closed and reopened I did not need the MSA code. Is that normal? Under what circumstances will I need the MSA code again?

After the initial linking you'll not need the code again for the application. You would need it for accessing 1Password.com. The code is only used for the initial application linking or accessing 1Password.com.

When she tries to open 1Password on her (wife) computer or iPhone, will she need the MSA from my phone too? Do you recommend I set this up on her iPhone too?

The 2FA is specific to the individual. So if you did not set it up for here she would have nothing to enter. Setting up 2FA is a choice you would need to make. It depends on your needs.

Yes, wrong spot. No worries though. I'll move it to someplace else for you. 🙂

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

This discussion has been closed.