To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Feature Request - search partial passwords

Options
duckwhisperer
duckwhisperer
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

Hi there,

I’d like to suggest a feature where you can search partial passwords where only the start and end of the string are known.

The main use case is services like Experian’s fraud report inform you that your personal details are being sold, they give you the user name being sold and the password’s first 2 and last digit (in the form of XX******X)

It would be good if we could search this in some way in order to see what passcodes may be compromised.

Many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @duckwhisperer

I'm not super familiar with Experian's service, so I can't say for sure where they're getting this information from, but have you looked in Watchtower for either Vulnerable Password or Compromised Website alerts?

Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Watchtower uses https://haveibeenpwned.com/, which is essentially the industry go-to website for things like this, as its source of information and might well flag up the same items you're being notified about from Experian. Worth a look if you haven't already. Let me know what you find (or don't!) and if Experian is reporting a website that doesn't appear in Watchtower, it'd be good to know.

Because of how comprehensive Watchtower is at finding breaches like this, you might not need partial password searching in the search box, but as I say, if it's not found everything you've had reported elsewhere, there may well be a case for it.

I look forward to hearing how you get on. :)

— Grey

• keithsmith
    keithsmith
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. +1 for this please.

I too get occasional password compromised alerts (including from Experian) and it would be extremely helpful to be able to do a search of both current AND old passwords based on a partial password.

Yes, I agree, the Watchtower service is great (and I use it!) but it would also be nice to have the peace of mind that comes with searching for a (now) known compromised password and seeing that you had changed it a few weeks ago. Or not... as the case may be.

To be clear, the feature request isn't about making Watchtower better, the request is to be able to search for information that you can't seem to right now.

This discussion has been closed.