How to notify for new updates?

Options
mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Lounge

I want to know when there are new updates, but not have them automatically install. I could do this in 1Password 7, but I can't figure out how in 1Password 8 (on macOS).

The only option I see is Settings > Advanced > Install updates automatically. Obviously if I don't want it to install updates automatically, I have to leave this unchecked. But when I do so, it doesn't notify me that there's an update, unless I manually check for updates. Which means, I don't know that there's an update until I do my monthly software maintenance.

1Password Version: 8.0.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @mschmitt

I would recommend leaving updates enabled, but you can certainly disable that if you like. The only other suggestion I can think of in your situation is visiting our release notes page.

1Password Releases

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options

This should be in a different section of the forum, I wasn't paying close enough attention when I created the topic.

So I guess the answer is that No, 1Password 8 can't notify for new updates available.

I don't automatically install updates until I review the release notes. And install the update on my secondary machine before the primary. Especially with something as critical as 1Password. And double-especially 1Password 8, since there's no local backup. I've been burned before.

• Hello @mschmitt! 👋

I recommend that you install updates as soon as they're available. With something as important as 1Password, it's recommended that you keep the app up to date so that you're protected by the latest security updates and bug fixes.

Skipping an update isn't something that I would advise since it means that you'll be running an older unsupported version of the app.

That being said, I've passed along your comments to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 35715576

This discussion has been closed.