1Password Firefox Beta breaks Yubikey functionality

Options

I installed the 1Password Beta extension for Firefox yesterday and noted on sites that I use my Yubikey, they were suddenly acting weird. For instance, with AWS when it prompts for me to touch my security key, I would touch it and then the site would just hang with the message "waiting on security key." This persisted across many attempts, across many sites utilizing 2FA.

The only thing I had changed was the 1Password extension, so I disabled the beta and re-enabled the stable, attempted the login again, and it worked as expected.

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Windows 11 22H2
Browser: Firefox 117.0.1

Comments

• Hey @tenpaiyomi,

When you are on the page that says 'Waiting on security key' are you seeing any kind of prompt from 1Password appear?

• tenpaiyomi
    tenpaiyomi
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles No. The flow is as follows:

1Password Beta:
    1. Load AWS Console Login page
    2. 1Password properly fills in credentials
    3. Click login, navigated to MFA page and prompted to touch security key by Windows Security
    4. Touch security key, dialog disappears, page does not redirect

1Password Stable:
    1. Load AWS Console Login page
    2. 1Password properly fills in credentials
    3. Click login, navigated to MFA page and prompted to touch security key by Windows Security
    4. Touch security key, dialog disappears, redirects to AWS Console home

• blasto912
    blasto912
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing problems with Chrome. In some cases I have had trouble signing in to Okta-authed sites, and in those cases I am not sure I am allowed to disclose which sites and in any case since registrations are not open you would not be able to repro. An easily reproducible issue is happening on webauthn.io.

When attempting to register on webauthn.io the 1Password "Save passkey" popup appears, with the red error text "1Password encountered a problem". The little USB icon does appear but the registration attempt has already failed at this point. I am not able to proceed without completely disabling 1P passkey support.

There may be some instances where I would prefer to use a 1P-backed passkey but because of the disruption to existing workflows I have no choice but to completely disable passkey functionality at this time.

• Hey @tenpaiyomi,

Apologies for the delayed reply!

It sounds like you might be running into a known issue that was recently fixed and the patch was shipped to the stable release of the 1Password extension version 2.15.1. However, the update is still under review for Firefox. I'm sorry for the disruption, thank you for your patience.

@blasto912,

It sounds like something might not be quite right. Can you reproduce the issue where you run into the '1Password encountered a problem' error and send over some logs so we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong?

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.