missing Safari extension

Options
voxkeys
voxkeys
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm using Safari 6.0.2 on a MacBook Pro, 10.8.2. and 1Password 3.8.20. (I realize there was an earlier thread from February on this but even after logging in to the 1Passowrd forum the Reply button would not open any window - which may speak to something else?)

After shutting down the laptop last night (for Earth Hour) and rebooting this morning, Safari opened without any extensions. I quit and rebooted and they all came back, except for 1Password. I checked the toolbar and it wasn't even an eligible choice. I've since downloaded and installed the extension again and things seem back to normal.

I've had periodic problems with Safari not opening a window on boot, no icons for extensions appearing etc. - all of which seem to resolve on reopening Safari.

Just wondered if you have any insight. This all seems rather erratic and puzzling and I'm not pointing any blame at 1Password(!)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad things are working well, but if you have any further trouble, some customers have reported an issue where the 1Password icon will be "gone" every time they launch Safari, and no amount of adding it back seems to make any difference. This has been traced to a Safari issue, and can impact any or all extensions -- it's not limited to 1Password being affected (as it sounds like you have guessed). Although it does sound like it has only affected 1Password in your case.

The only known fix for this condition is to perform a "mild" to "deep cleaning" of Safari files and settings by moving some or all Safari files aside so they won't be found. Please quit Safari and move the following items in your Home folder to the Trash:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari
    ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari

Try Safari again. If it still doesn’t work right, the next steps will remove all your Safari settings and extensions! Before you move any more files, choose the Safari > Preferences menu option and go through each pane in turn, making a note of your settings (perhaps in a TextEdit document). In the Extensions pane, scroll through the sidebar to record each extension's settings, and if the extension is enabled. Quit Safari again and now move the following file to the Desktop:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Then move the following items to the Trash (some may not exist):

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist
    ~/Library/PubSub/Database
    ~/Library/Safari

Run Safari again. This time Safari should perform normally, but without your non-default settings. Select File > Import Bookmarks from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Recreate the rest of your Safari settings, and download / reinstall your extensions. You can then apply your recorded settings to any extensions. You can now delete the old bookmarks file from your Desktop.

Please let me know how it goes if you end up needing to perform the steps above.

This discussion has been closed.