Passkeys on iOS beta soon?

Options
asportnoy
asportnoy
Community Member
edited January 12 in iOS

I'm using the TestFlight version of 1Password on the iOS 17 beta. I know that the API needed for 3rd party apps to use passkeys was added in iOS 17. Will this feature be added to the TestFlight beta soon? Would love to have it!

1Password Version: iOS TestFlight 8.10.12 (81012010)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 17 DB6
Browser: N/A

Comments

• jac.pd_1p
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @asportnoy

We're super excited about third-party passkey manager support coming in iOS 17! We don't have any plans to show off this feature in TestFlight but rest assured that it's coming soon. You can take an early sneak peek of saving and using passkeys in 1Password on iOS 17 on our blog: Passkeys, iOS 17, and 1Password: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming :)

• pollack
    pollack
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Credential Provider API for password managers was released on iOS 17 Beta 7 (21A5319a)

AHH!! HYPEEE

21A5319a Release Notes#Authentication-Services-and-Passkeys

Authentication Services and Passkeys

New Features

• The Credential Provider API for password managers has been expanded to support passkeys. Credential providers can save and offer passkeys for apps and websites across the system. (83501802)

• ASSettingsHelper allows password manager apps to directly open the Settings view where the Credential Provider Extension for system-wide Password AutoFill and passkey sign-in can be enabled. ASSettingsHelper also allows verification code (TOTP) apps to directly open the Settings view where you can configure which app opens verification code setup links. (106351958)

edit: added the hype :D

• Hi @pollack and @asportnoy

Just wanted to pop back in this thread in case you haven't seen; saving and signing in with passkeys from 1Password is now available on iOS 17! Be sure to take them for a spin on supported services (Watchtower will show you any supported items in your 1Password account or you can visit passkeys.directory for the full list) and let me know how you get on: Save and Sign In with Passkeys Using 1Password on the Web and iOS :)

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Good to see passkey support on iOS! Few things I noticed while trying it out:

• Seems like it wasn't able to figure out which passkey to use on Google (I have a few different accounts) and I had to select it manually. Shouldn't it be able to determine which to use automatically?
    • I tried setting up passkeys in both TikTok and Robinhood but neither worked. Both were saved in 1Password but the app gave an error and it didn't go through on their end. Not sure if it's a them issue or a you issue.

Currently on Version: 8.10.16 (81016043) via TestFlight.

• Hi @asportnoy

Seems like it wasn't able to figure out which passkey to use on Google (I have a few different accounts) and I had to select it manually. Shouldn't it be able to determine which to use automatically?

If you have multiple Google passkeys stored in your 1Password account, AutoFill should show a modal displaying all your Google passkeys able to be selected (with the account in question you're trying to sign in to automatically selected). Could you let me know if that wasn't the case for you here?

I tried setting up passkeys in both TikTok and Robinhood but neither worked. Both were saved in 1Password but the app gave an error and it didn't go through on their end. Not sure if it's a them issue or a you issue.

This is an issue within iOS 17 itself where passkeys saved in 1Password aren't working as expected in apps such as TikTok and Robinhood. We're working with our partners over at Apple to get it resolved so make sure to keep iOS updated on your device: Update your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support.

• asportnoy
    asportnoy
    Community Member
    Options

It did display the prompt, but shouldn't it automatically figure out which passkey to use without my input? It does that on desktop.

Shame to hear about that bug, hope Apple fixes that soon.

This discussion has been closed.