Looking for advice on bank account set-up in 1Password

pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member
edited March 2013 in iOS

I want to set up 1Password (version 4 for iOS) to hold my login and bank details for an account at Bank Of America (BOA). Looking for advice on which of the following options is better and why:

Option 1: Set up a Login item for BOA, using the custom fields to hold the questions and answers for BOA security questions, and for other login-related information. Then set up a Wallet item for BOA to hold non-login information (e.g., account name, account number, routing number, etc). Then set up a folder named BOA, and put the BOA Login item and the BOA Wallet item in the folder, so that all BOA items are in one easy-to-find place. So this option requires setting up three items in 1Password: a Login item, a Wallet item and a folder.

Option 2: Set up a Login item for BOA, using custom fields to hold the login-related items (e.g., security questions) and the non-login items (e.g., account number, routing number). Do not set up a separate Wallet item or folder.

Option 2 seems a bit cleaner, in that everything related to BOA is in one place. Is using Option 1 or Option 2 purely a matter of personal choice, or are there other reasons that favor Option 1 or Option 2? For example, is Option 2 less secure (because when 1Password unlocks the Login item to sign onto the BOA website, the other non-login information in the custom fields is exposed)?

Looking forward to your comments ...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

There really aren't any security implications. Only the specific piece of data that you need any any given moment is decrypted.

I have my checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, and other Wallet items stored in their appropriate templates in the Wallet category and only use the Login item as a Login item. My security questions are stored in the Notes field of the Login item for each copy and paste in the browser extensions.

I don't really use folders, but one or two of those separate items are probably tagged once or twice. This allows more flexibility than if I try to cram all the information for a single institution in a single Login item.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

given the uncertain future of TAGS I have adopted a naming convention based on when in a sequence information might be required. Using BOA as my example I store info like this
    BOA1 login
    BOA2 security ? 1 (I use generated passwords for the answer so I use an appropriate name and keep response in generated passwords)
    BOA2 security ? 2

BOA3 account ####
    BOA3 routing number ####

using this scheme search is your friend and you don't have to use folders or tags

This discussion has been closed.