Crash and subsequent corruption

Today as I was editing an existing note by pasting a phone number into it, 1password for Mac (version 3.8.20) suddenly crashed:

Exception: *** -[NSBigMutableString substringWithRange:]: Range or index out of bounds

The note which I was editing was now suddenly (behind the crash dialog) displayed as partially corrupt. The first approximately 20 - 30 characters of the note had been replaced by garbage. The data was still corrupt after I re-opened the note, which is rather disturbing. :(

I don't care about this note that much, but I am afraid it might happen again with more important data. This is the trial version, and I've only been running 1password for a few days, but until now I was already sure I was going to buy it when the period was up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm terribly sorry to hear about this, sobjo. The good news is that 1Password automatically creates a backup of your data every day. If you can wait, please do not immediately restore your most recent backup. It could be helpful to see the current state of things before the backup is restored.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• sobjo
    sobjo
    Community Member

Thank you. I opened a support ticket before writing this forum post (because the auto-response to the support e-mail encouraged browsing the forum), and when I got a human reply I responded with the diagnostics report before I saw your forum reply. The report was generated immediately after the crash was encountered, and I have still not tried to restore any backup (partly because this particular corruption was unimportant, and partly because I added a lot of other important passwords on the same day). The e-mail support subject is "Data loss bug!?". Looking forward to any insights you may gain, as regardless of whether there is an existing bug or not, I want to feel confident in this otherwise excellent software before buying it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll continue to work with you via email until everything is resolved (just in case we need additional Diagnostics Reports from you).

LAT-23344-384

This discussion has been closed.