Passkeys vs. Google

Options
gmpalter
gmpalter
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I created a passkey for Google on my iPhone running iOS 17. I verified that the passkey was saved in 1Password as expected.

If I try to signin to Google in Safari on my iPhone, I see

When I tap on "passkey for ...", the toolbar disappears and nothing happens.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.0.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem. Selecting the passkey option in the iOS/iPadOS 17 keyboard does nothing. Additionally, if I enter the email address and tap **Try Another Way **on the password screen, more often than not I get prompted by the Apple QR code (no idea how I'm supposed to scan that on a mobile device Apple ... but I digress) instead of the 1PW option even though I don't have Autofill configured to use iCloud Keychain.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @gmpalter, @bugwhat, and @OAW

I'm sorry that you're having trouble signing into a website using a passkey. This appears to be an issue with how iOS 17 displays information from 1Password and other password managers. We're working with out partners over at Apple on this and I recommend keeping iOS updated on your iPhone so that you receive a fix as soon as it's available: Update your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support.

Edit: Please try the following steps.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24058

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    Options

I tried tapping on the 🔑 icon and selecting the passkey item. Nothing happens.

I should note that I have two Google accounts -- one personal and one for given by a client. I'm trying to use the passkey on my personal account. (The client account is alphabetically first.)

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    Options

Now that I've updated to macOS Sonoma, I can login to Google using my passkey from 1Password in Safari on Sonoma.

I noticed that if 1Password is unlocked, signing in using a passkey doesn't ask for biometric authentication. Is that right?

• @gmpalter

Thank you for the reply. Can you please try these specific steps:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app on your iPhone, find the Login item for your Google account and confirm that you see a saved passkey.
    2. Open Safari.
    3. Go to: https://accounts.google.com
    4. Type in your email address and tap Next.
    5. You might see two different screens:
    • If you see a screen that says "Use your passkey to confirm it's really you" then tap Continue.
    • If you see a screen asking for your password then tap Try another way and then tap Use your passkey.
    1. The 1Password "Sign in with your passkey?" prompt will appear. Tap Continue. Unlock 1Password and you'll be signed in.

I noticed that if 1Password is unlocked, signing in using a passkey doesn't ask for biometric authentication. Is that right?

Your passkeys are protected using the same security as your passwords. Once 1Password is unlocked you're able to save and sign in with passkeys to your accounts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

In step 5, I got the password prompt screen with my Google password filled in. I then tapped on "Try another way" and was able to sign in using my passkey from 1Password.

I then signed out. This time, when I signed it, it went directly to the "Use your passkey" screen.

• @gmpalter

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like everything is working properly, let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.