Disable Watchtower banner for passkeys in the browser extension

Options
sethvargo
sethvargo
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there - the native 1Password app has an option (albeit under "privacy") to disable prompting for passkeys. I'd like the same option to exist in the 1Password X Browser Extension please.

Context: I use hardware security keys for nearly everything. In some places, that's mandated by the account, in other places, it's just my preference.

Alternatives considered:

Mark entires as "ignore"
This is not sustainable, as I have over 10,000 logins in 1Password. It would take me days just to do this, and it wouldn't apply to future logins. Plus, I already did this for over half the sites with the "MFA" prompt, since 1Password wasn't aware I was using a hardware key for MFA instead of an OTP. I'd really prefer not to do that again.

Switch to passkeys
As noted above, sometimes this is impossible due to policy requirements on the accounts. Even if it were possible, it would be a massive under-taking to migrate.

Just ignore the purple banner
The banner isn't what bothers me - it's the fact that it takes up ~20% of the total visible real estate without scrolling.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Mac OS 14.0
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hey @sethvargo,

You can turn off the Watchtower alerts within 1Password in your browser using these steps:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Settings'
    2. Choose 'Notifications' in the left hand menu
    3. Uncheck 'Watchtower alerts'

Does this helps to achieve the behaviour you are after?

• sethvargo
    sethvargo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph - I don't want to turn off all the alerts. I just want to turn off the passkey one. This functionally exists in the native Mac app already.

• LydiaH1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@sethvargo It's currently only possible to disable all Watchtower alerts in the browser extension. I apologise for the inconvenience this may be causing.

I have filed a feature request on your behalf to implement the option of just disabling the passkey alerts in the extension.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

ref: PB35925587

• sethvargo
    sethvargo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lydia. I appreciate it.

• Hi @sethvargo,

On behalf of my colleague Lydia, you're very welcome, and it's our pleasure to be your assistant.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

This discussion has been closed.