To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unlock 1Password with passkey where is the secret?

Options
johngraybosch
johngraybosch
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

I’m a happy 1Password user and a developer by trade. I’m curious about the upcoming feature to unlock your 1Password vault with a passkey. Where is the secret for encrypting your vault coming from at that point if it’s not derived from your password / secret key? Is there a whitepaper explaining this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @johngraybosch

Thanks for your interest in the inner workings of 1Password's passkey feature. We value transparency, especially when it comes to the safety and security of our users.

For a comprehensive overview of passkeys, how they function, and their integration within the 1Password framework, I'd recommend checking out our blog post on passkeys. It's designed to give readers clear insights into why we view passkeys as a significant advancement in online security.

Additionally, if you're looking for more technical details about 1Password's overarching security model, our white paper is a valuable resource. It dives deep into the mechanics of our system and should be particularly insightful for someone with a development background like yourself.

Regarding passkeys and their integration into the 1Password system, we're continuously updating our documentation and resources as we roll out new features. While the whitepaper provides a foundational understanding of our security model, we anticipate providing more specifics on passkeys as they become a more integral part of our offering.

This discussion has been closed.