“1Password Installer” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Options
jamki
jamki
Community Member

I'm trying to install 1Password 8 to evaluate, I downloaded the installer from the 1Password website but when I try to run it I get a pop that says “1Password Installer” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

I know I can work around this but I'm not comfortable doing that for something as security focused as a password manager. What's going on with this installer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.5.2 (22G91)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jamki! 👋

I'm sorry that you're unable to install 1Password 8. Can you please download a fresh copy of the installer and try to install the app again:

1. Delete the previous installer in your Downloads folder.
    2. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app), click your name top-right sidebar and click Get the Apps.
    3. Download and install 1Password for Mac.

Let me know if that still doesn't work.

-Dave

• jamki
    jamki
    Community Member
    Options

HI Dave,
    Followed your directions but still getting the same error.

Checking the installed package from the CLI I get the following:

$ spctl -a -vv -t install 1Password\ Installer.app   
    1Password Installer.app: rejected  
    source=Unnotarized Developer ID  
    origin=Developer ID Application: AgileBits Inc. (2BUA8C4S2C)

Comparing that to the 1Password 7 version you can see the difference

$ spctl -a -vv -t install 1Password-7.9.11.pkg                
    1Password-7.9.11.pkg: accepted
    source=Notarized Developer ID
    origin=Developer ID Installer: AgileBits Inc. (2BUA8C4S2C)

• Hi @jamki

There was a slight hiccup with notarizing the latest release of 1Password for Mac but the team resolved the issue same day. This is my result from downloading a fresh installer from our downloads page on our website, so could you try downloading a fresh installer using this link: https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip

• jamki
    jamki
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jac.pd_1p ,
    I have tried downloading the linked zip file a few times but I'm still getting the same issue as with the previous one.

Still pops up the warning when I try to run it, and still shows as source=Unnotarized Developer ID in the command line.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@jamki

Thanks for the reply. Before downloading a new copy of the zipped installer, did you delete both the old ZIP file and the old extracted copy of the older installer?

As cliche as it sounds, can you restart your Mac and try to download a fresh installer one more time? Let me know how that goes. 🙂

-Dave

• jamki
    jamki
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Deleted, rebooted, and redownloaded - Still same result

But

I downloaded the installer on my personal Mac, not work Mac, and it worked fine. Installed fine and checking from the command line it shows as source=Notarized Developer ID.

So the issue must have something to do with how our work computers are locked down, curious though that you guys did have some hiccup on the same day.

Anyway, thanks for the help at least I can move forward with my evaluation.

thanks!

• @jamki

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. If you're still running into the same issue then I'd like to ask that you send an email to our support team so that we can dig deeper. Can you please send an email to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.