Does a new family member need to pay for their own license before joining?

Options
hoagieben
hoagieben
Community Member

I have a family membership by virtue of a business membership which I'd like to take advantage of.

All documentation describing the invite of a 1Password user to the family assumes the invitee is a current user. In my case my 12 year son is not a current 1Password user.

Families can have up to five users, I read that as five people can use 1Password without needing to buy individual licenses. Or, do I need to buy a yearly individual account before my son can be invited into the family?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @hoagieben

You can invite your son to join your 1Password Families account without having anything previously.

When you invite someone to join your family account, you're inviting them to become a user on that family account, so they don't need (for example) their own individual account first.

Put another way, you're not adding their existing individual account to the family account, like you would with something like iCloud's Family Sharing system or Google's Family Link, where each family member is separate but linked together.

In the case of 1Password Families, they'll sign up for 1Password within the 1Password Families account you already have.

I hope that helps clarify things, but please let us know if you have any questions or need any other help. :)

— Grey

• hoagieben
    hoagieben
    Community Member
    Options

It does. There was a problem with the original family account that stopped me from inviting other people. Once I unlinked that and created a new one I can invite others. That inability to invite external people is what caused me to doubt whether invitees had to already be paid individual users.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• @hoagieben – You're welcome! Glad to hear things are working as they should be now. We'll be here if you ever need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.