"Suggest a Password" button

Options
androzaniminer
androzaniminer
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Would it be possible to include in the dropdown for saving a credential, the option to suggest a complex password? Sometimes it does this automatically, but often not. It would be very helpful to have this as a selectable option when creating a new login.

At present, I often need to navigate separately to https://1password.com/password-generator/ to generate a password, so it would be great if this functionality could be included directly in the field when creating a credential.

I hope that makes sense - happy to discuss further if needed.

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: Windows
Browser: Microsoft Edge

Comments

• Hey @androzaniminer,

When you are on a sign up page 1Password should suggest a password beneath a field. Can you provide me with an example whereby this isn't the case?

I'd be happy to pass your feedback on to our product team but first it would be great to gain some more insight into your workflow and how this would benefit you.

Thank you!

• androzaniminer
    androzaniminer
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

It seems to be random. Sometimes a password suggestion appears but (I'm sorry to say) often it doesn't.

Even when the password suggestion appears, it can often disappear (if you have to click away or look at something else on your computer) and then there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to "re-suggest" a password.

This is why I think an actual button, within the interface, would be very helpful. It would hopefully provide the kind of functionality shown below, via a dropdown menu (taken from the 1Password Generator website).

• Thank you for getting back to me @androzaniminer.

There is a password generator within 1Password in your browser. Here is how you can access it:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and unlock 1Password
    2. Click on the round Settings menu next to the search bar
    3. Choose 'Password Generator'

Within here you can copy or fill a password, does this help to achieve the behaviour you are after?

• androzaniminer
    androzaniminer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I've used 1Password for nearly two years and never realised that was there. Very helpful.

• You're most welcome @androzaniminer, let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

• androzaniminer
    androzaniminer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it's me again :) I had a thought. That functionality you mentioned is perfect on desktop machines but doesn't exist on mobile devices. Is there anything similar for those, or can we add something to the mobile version?

• Hey @androzaniminer,

Currently on mobile you can either generate a password by creating an item or by visiting the password generator website as you have been.

With that being said I have put in a request with our product team on your behalf to see if we can look to add a password generator to the apps in a future update.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

ref: PB35940560

• androzaniminer
    androzaniminer
    Community Member
    Options

The problem with creating a password\credential separately is that you can't always paste it into a password field on a mobile device. It does seem to depend on the website you are using (in my experience).

Thanks for putting in the request.

• I see where you are coming from @androzaniminer, let us know if there are any specific websites that are particularly problematic and we can do some further investigation.

This discussion has been closed.