Does 1Password on IOS Support "Cross-Device Authentication (CDA)" using QR and BLE?

Options
janrex
janrex
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I have tried to authenticate on sites that support keypass using the Chome and Edge browsers (in their most recent versions) and without using the 1password extension, only using the QR option of the browsers and 1Password for IOS on iPhone with IOS 17, with the camera I read the QR and the IOS opens 1Password, but it does not perform cross authentication (CDA).

Isn't this mechanism still available? or do I have a problem?

Thank you

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Chome / Edge

Comments

• Geofox
    Geofox
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ! I'm also having the same issue.

iOS 17.0 (21A329) , 1Password 8.10.16 (81016045 Production Channel)

Passkeys saved in iCloud keychain are working as expected.

• Hello @janrex and @Geofox! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry for the late reply. You should indeed be able to sign into a website on your desktop by using a passkey saved in the 1Password app on your iPhone.

That being said, it doesn't look like Mastodon supports passkeys for login yet: Passkeys.directory. Did you instead register a 1Password passkey as a second factor security key on Mastodon.social? If you did then I can confirm that signing in by scanning the QR code on my iPhone doesn't seem to be working either and I've filed an internal issue with our team so that they can look into this further.

As a workaround, you can still fill the passkey using 1Password in the browser. Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24230

• janrex
    janrex
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P !

I have been carried away by my lack of knowledge 🀦🏻, my mistake was to try to authenticate using 2FA (FIDO U2F) saved as passkeys in 1Password.

Again I tried to authenticate on websites that meet Passkeys, I read the QR on iPhone, and 1Password works by authorizing remote authentication!

This use is great when I require authenticating on devices that are not mine.

Thank you for your clarification!

A last question, save 2FA tokens in the 1Password Passkeys does not represent problems? For now they have worked for me without problem πŸ˜…

• @janrex

I'm happy to help. πŸ™‚

A last question, save 2FA tokens in the 1Password Passkeys does not represent problems? For now they have worked for me without problem πŸ˜…

For the sites that I've tested, saving a security key as a passkey for 2FA seems to work well when you're signing in with 1Password in the browser on that device itself. There appear to be some issues when signing in from a different device using the QR code and I've filed a couple of issues for our developers to investigate further.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24230
    ref: dev/core/core#24194

This discussion has been closed.