Is there a way to scan a QR code to log into 1Password?

Options
IHIutch
IHIutch
Community Member

A few applications I use do this: Their web or desktop applications have an accompanying mobile application (Steam for example). When I want to sign in, I can open the mobile app and scan the QR code on my desktop. This allows me to sign in.

Signing into 1Password on my phone is trivial because I can use my fingerprint or PIN. But signing in on desktop requires me to know my 1Password password (which I never remember because I never need to sign in and it's usually saved in 1Password anyway). So in order to sign into 1Password on my desktop I have to open 1Password on my phone, view the password, and manually type it in. It would be a lot easier if I could just scan a QR code provided by the desktop app.

Wondering if this is in the works or planned. Would be really handy.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @IHIutch, thanks for writing in!

But signing in on desktop requires me to know my 1Password password (which I never remember because I never need to sign in and it's usually saved in 1Password anyway).

First, I'd like to note that we encourage remembering your password, or preparing a copy of your Emergency Kit with your password so that it's always available. If an account password is lost or forgotten, we cannot reset the password or recover an account.

With Biometric unlock set, you can use your fingerprint to unlock 1Password for Android. However, there are some situations where your password would be required. These situations include, after resetting the device, if you add biometry to the device, when setting up a new device with an app mover, and a few others.

Wondering if this is in the works or planned. Would be really handy.

While it's still in development, we will be making passkey unlock available with 1Password accounts in the future. With passkey unlock, an option to scan a QR to sign in on a new device will be available. You can find a quick overview of this process in our demo video: Coming soon: passkey unlock for 1Password - YouTube

Thanks again!

• IHIutch
    IHIutch
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, lovely. Looking forward to that feature!

• @IHIutch – You're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.