Add Sign in with Apple login to 1Password

Options
reck
reck
Community Member

I created a new login on my iPhone and picked the Sign in with Apple option. How can I add this login to 1Password?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @reck

When you create a new login item in 1Password, select the "+ add more" button and select "Sign in with" which will allow you to add the Sign in with Apple option to your item. Then when you go to sign in to that website again, and you have 1Password for Safari on iOS or 1Password in your browser on desktop turned on, you will see the prompt showing you to use the Apple sign in method :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, ok so i've gone back to the site where I used the sign in with Apple option and when I go to login i'm given the option to select what method to use to login, Google, Apple etc, so I click Apple and then 1Password fills in my Apple ID username and password and i'm in.

So what's the benefit of creating another login in 1Password that will use the "sign in with" option? Sorry i'm not familair with signing in to sites using third party logins as I normally just use username/password and save straight into 1Password.

• @reck

Thanks for the reply. If you have an existing Login item for a website then you can just edit that Login item instead of creating a new one. You can read more about using Sign in with here: Use 1Password to sign in to sites with supported providers

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

The existing login I mentioned is my Apple ID login.

So I guess the options are -

Anywhere I use the log in with Apple option just login using my existing Apple ID login and forget about creating a separate login for each site.

Create a new login for each site and select the login with Apple option.

I’m not sure of the benefit of choosing the second option when I already have a login that will log me in. But if I go with option 1 ill have to go back into the Apple ID login each time I use this login option and add an extra website url of which there could be many over a period of time.

What’s the expected process for using these types of login?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

On the page you linked to Dave it says “You’ll need to save your login in the same 1Password account where you saved your username and password for that provider.”

So sounds like the idea is that the providers login is updated rather then creating a new login?

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@reck

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'll try to clarify:

You’ll need to save your login in the same 1Password account where you saved your username and password for that provider.

The "saved your username and password for that provider" refers to the Login item saved in 1Password for your Apple ID itself. In order to match the Login item for your Apple ID to any other Login items that use the Apple ID for sign in, they need to be in the same account.

Next, you'll need a separate Login item for the website that you're signing into. So if I was trying to sign into etsy.com using my Apple ID I would have one item for my Apple ID and another item for etsy.com that contains the "Sign in with" field that Jac mentioned earlier.

Once you've done this 1Password in the browser will show a notification reminding you that you sign into that website using your Apple ID. The prompt will look like this:

You won't need to remember that you use your Apple ID to sign into the website if the website offers several different options. And by clicking on Sign in from the prompt you'll be signed into the website using your Apple ID.

On your iPhone, make sure that you're using 1Password in Safari so that you see the prompt: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.