Do many 1Password customers use only iPads and iPhones?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

I currently have an iMac, iPad and iPhone, and I've used 1Password since 2014. My iMac needs to be replaced, and my iPad is not far behind. Rather than purchasing both new devices, I am considering just buying one really nice iPad. My needs have changed, and I just don't see the need for another iMac. I do not want to be shortsighted here. Other than my large music library, there's no other reason that I need my iMac. Please enlighten me if this will be a mistake.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @jazzman! πŸ‘‹

Thanks for the question! I know that many folks just use an iPad nowadays and don't need a Mac. It all depends on what you use the devices for. For example: I dabble with photography and I personally wouldn't be able to give up my Macbook since it would mean giving up my large screen and access to desktop versions of apps like Photoshop and Lightroom.

On the other hand, my parents just use an iPad and have done so for many years since their needs include communication via email and messages, looking at photos, playing music, browsing the web, and staying up to date on news.

1Password will work great even if you only have an iPad, there isn't a need to have a Mac in the mix from that perspective.

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks so much for your response. My needs now are like those of your parents. I do keep track of certain financial items like expenses but nothing major. Other financial stuff I handle on the websites of various institutions. My music library is large and includes 8-9,000 songs that I uploaded to my Mac and synced to my iPad. I would not want to lose that. However, my Mac is backed up to two external hard drives for safety. If the whole music library was on my iPad and it crashed, I could always buy a new Mac and use those two drives to restore my iTunes library. Tell me what you think.
    Also, please give me your perspective on passkeys. Is this the future, and how would they be useful for 1Password? It seems to me that passkeys are not readily available yet except on a very limited few websites. Am I wrong? The concept sounds great, but it’s just not here yet.

Thanks again for your help.😎

jazzman

• @jazzman

Thank you for the reply. πŸ™‚

My music library is large and includes 8-9,000 songs that I uploaded to my Mac and synced to my iPad. I would not want to lose that. However, my Mac is backed up to two external hard drives for safety. If the whole music library was on my iPad and it crashed, I could always buy a new Mac and use those two drives to restore my iTunes library. Tell me what you think.

This one might be outside of my wheelhouse as I've never had an iTunes library like this. I've been using streaming services like Spotify for many years. If you do have a Time Machine backup of your Mac then that should include your music library: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support (CA)

Hopefully someone else from the community can weigh in about this. Reaching out to Apple directly might be a good idea so that they can confirm how that would work.

Also, please give me your perspective on passkeys. Is this the future, and how would they be useful for 1Password? It seems to me that passkeys are not readily available yet except on a very limited few websites. Am I wrong? The concept sounds great, but it’s just not here yet.

Passkeys are a great solution for the challenges we see with passwords. Unlike passwords, you can’t create a weak passkey and passkeys can't be phished like traditional passwords because the underlying private key never leaves 1Password – this also makes them resistant to social engineering scams.

It's early days for passkeys but they're already working great on websites like Google and Amazon. If you're interested in reading more then check out our blog: Save and Sign In with Passkeys Using 1Password on the Web and iOS

-Dave

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thanks so much for your help 😎.

• It's my pleasure. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.