Can't transfer Agile Keychain Data file from Mac to iPad via iTunes

Options
bokarmic
bokarmic
Community Member

My wife purchased 1Password for her iPad 3 a few days ago and saved the Agile Keychain folder to the recommended location in her MacBook Pro (Home/Library/Application Support) using iTunes. I then also installed 1Password on my iPad 4.

My wife and I have not been able to transfer the saved Agile Keychain Data file from her Mac to my iPad despite repeated attempts. When I connect my iPad to my wife's Mac via USB using either my Apple ID or my wife's Apple ID, 1Password appears in the File Sharing section of iTunes and I select it. I then click the Add link beneath the 1Password Documents window to the right of the selected app and I find the saved Agile Keychain folder in Application Support.

The problem is that the "Open" link beneath the Agile Keychain Data file is grayed out and can't be selected (the other link, "Cancel," can be selected). (The "Open" link beneath the HTML file within the Agile Keychain folder, on the other hand, is not grayed out and can be selected.)

Alternative methods of transferring the Data file to my iPad don't work either, such as trying to drag the saved Data file into 1Password's Documents window in iTunes or trying to copy and paste it into that window. The Data file has a lot of joint data entered by the two of us in 1Password on my wife's iPad and it would take many hours to duplicate the same entries on my iPad.

Any suggestions on how to enable the "Open" link at the Agile Keychain Data file on the Mac so it can be transferred to my iPad via iTunes?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble, bokarmic. I would be more than happy to troubleshoot this issue with you, but it would probably be a lot easier to set up Dropbox one time and then it will automatically keep all your data in sync from then on. It's completely automatic. There is nothing to remember or forget. It just works. Your data is just always up to date. You won't need to manually shuttle a data file back and forth like that ever again. :)

Here is our guide for setting up Dropbox syncing:

Setting up Dropbox syncing in 1Password

If you'd prefer to use iTunes File Sharing and constantly be manually managing this, please let me know. We can get that sorted out for you.

Cheers!

• bokarmic
    bokarmic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, Khad. My wife and I will set up Dropbox syncing on our iPads. (I have had Dropbox on my iPad for quite a while but have never used it. My wife has never had it and will download it from the App Store.)

After reading your Dropbox guide I have a couple of brief questions. First, since our iPads have different Apple IDs and passwords, how should we configure the two devices and the two Dropbox applications? Second, my wife has a lot of data already inputted in 1Password on her iPad. I, on the other hand, have only a few 1Password entries on mine. Thus, for the initial Dropbox sync we will want to be sure that the 1Password data sync travels only one way--from her Dropbox account to mine, not the other way around. After that first sync, two way syncing of our 1Password data via Dropbox between our iPads would be fine.

Could you give us some guidance on these two questions?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Dropbox application does not need to be installed on your iOS devices in order to sync 1Password, and your Apple ID does not come into play at all with Dropbox syncing. So you don't have to worry about either of those things. :)

If your wife already has data input in 1Password on her iPad, start there.

1. Turn on Dropbox syncing in 1Password's settings on her iPad (1Password > Settings > Sync).
    2. Then, on your own iPad, if you don't have any data you want to keep, you can erase the data in 1Password in your own iPad and pull the data that your wife just synced to Dropbox. Open 1Password on your iPad and go to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data.
    3. Then enable Dropbox syncing in 1Password's settings on your own iPad. Make sure you log into the same Dropbox account on your iPad if you want to use the same the data. If you sync her iPad with her Dropbox account and your iPad with your Dropbox account then nothing will sync between the two of them.

Then the data file should be in that Dropbox account and accessible to 1Password on your Mac(s) via that Dropbox account.

Please let me know how it goes or which step you're stuck on if you get stuck. I'd be happy to provide more details.

Cheers!

• bokarmic
    bokarmic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Khad. I need one further clarification. You say that Dropbox doesn't have to be installed on our iPads in order to sync our 1Password data. However, the section of your Guide entitled, "Use Dropbox to sync your mobile devices," contains this language:

"To get started, visit Dropbox’s site to install Dropbox for your iOS devices or open this link to open the Dropbox app in your App Store app."

Assuming this portion of the 1Password Guide is still in effect, doesn't it literally mean that Dropbox does in fact have to be "installed" on our iPads either from Dropbox's website or from the App Store? Or is no such installation necessary and this language in the Guide is just a poor choice of words?

• bokarmic
    bokarmic
    Community Member
    Options

I set up the Dropbox sync as you suggested, khad, and everything went through just fine. So you need not reply to my previous post. Thanks once again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.