Research Community Feedback

Options
Scott2
Scott2
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Lounge

A year ago, after having a really strong negative reaction to the new design language in iPassword 8 on Mac and Windows, I jumped on the chance to be part of the Research Community - it sounded like a great opportunity to provide proactive input into product direction, instead of being stuck routing complaints about decisions and investments that were already made through support functions.

Today I got an invitation to confirm my continued membership in the Research Community. I won't be doing so - not because I've stopped caring (I haven't), but because the Research Community didn't give me an opportunity to provide meaningful feedback that was relevant to my use of the product.

Going off of memory, here's what I experienced:

• Three surveys, one of which was about the 1Password logo.
  • . . .

What I do not recall experiencing (from the announcement):

• Connecting with the 1Password team
  • Gaining exclusive access to results from surveys I participated in
  • Being in the loop on the latest product features

I don't care about perks like gift cards - what I wanted was to help shape an app that I use day in and day out, feel strongly about, and (still) find unpleasant to look at. I'm sorry to say that Research Community failed to give me that opportunity.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

From my understanding as someone who also joined a year ago and actively participated in everything that matched my profile, the research community isn't about telling 1Password how they should change and reshape their shipping product.

Instead, the research community is about collecting user opinions and feedback about functions currently being planned and designed for the next development cycle. And other things, whatever might pop up, where early user feedback appears useful. They show what they intend to do, or consider about doing, and you give feedback what you think about it. See it like the user voice that gives early feedback about stuff that's about to go live the next year or two, so 1Password can see if the direction needs a correction. Or to weight things differently.

Your role isn't product designer. Your role is product user.

It's feedback about the future of their products. It's not feedback about past things already in place, because such feedback can just be entered on public feedback forums like this. Like feedback about the design of the v8 client. I remember extensive user feedback in this forum, so I assume there's nothing more to say about that. 1Password did read everything, and whatever they wanted to take away from this feedback, was certainly taken away.

• Scott2
    Scott2
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

HEAVY EDIT FOR SIMPLICITY

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I signed up to gain access to another means to give feedback on the v8 design language. Not the case - my thinking was "at least I can share my thoughts before they develop something else I hate" (as opposed to complaining about it after), but unless you count the aforementioned logo survey, I got very little opportunity to provide anything.

Clearly I'm not a use case they're interested in. And that's fine. But I feel like expectations were sorely mis-set and I wanted to let 1Password know it, and I wanted to share my experience for anyone who's considering signing up for Research Community and reads the forum.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @Scott2! 👋

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we really do appreciate you taking the time to help us make 1Password even better.

1Password's mission is to help people safeguard their most important information. At 1Password, we deeply value the opinions and feedback that we receive from our customers, and we aim to continuously design and build products with our customer's needs and challenges in mind.

In an effort to gather even more feedback from our customers, we launched the 1Password Research Community last year. Over the past year, we have run a number of surveys across a range of diverse audiences within the community. In addition, we’ve also conducted various smaller scale research studies, where we’ve held 1:1 user interviews with customers. It’s important that we highlight that the participants we speak to for each study are selected based on the different information they’ve provided on their usage of 1Password. The feedback that we gather through all research studies is shared directly with our Product and Design teams to influence our product roadmaps and improve user experience.

We're really excited by the valuable insights and feedback that members have already shared. However, with this being our first time launching a Research Community like this, we fully acknowledge that there are certainly areas that we want to improve upon. We have recently changed the partner platform that we use to manage the Community which means that sharing insights from our research will be far more effective. We’re sorry that you felt let down by the Research Community over the past year and we will certainly be taking your feedback on board. Moving forward, we are looking to launch a larger variety of research activities to the Research Community that will provide more opportunities for our community members to engage with, including activities that all members will be able to participate in on a regular basis. If you're still interested in being part of the community, we would very much appreciate your continued input and product improvement ideas.

Thank you for highlighting your experience to us and we look forward to improving our Research Community initiatives over the next year!

This discussion has been closed.