Passkeys not working on PayPal

Options
janrex
janrex
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I have already created Passkeys on other sites.
But, when I associate the Passkey in PayPal, the UI that appears, is that of the hardware USB key that Firefox expects and not that of the UI 1Password beta extension to save the Passkey.

Is this a normal problem, or does it just happen to me?

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14.2
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hi there @janrex

Are you using the US site for PayPal? PayPal doesn't yet support passkeys outside the US region.

If you are using the US site, make sure you have both the beta version of the main 1Password app and the browser extension. You can find steps on how to make sure you have those in this article:

Use 1Password beta releases

Give those things a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• janrex
    janrex
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @GreyM1P
    I am using Paypal outside of the US.
    Thanks for your answer

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using the US site for PayPal? PayPal doesn't yet support passkeys outside the US region.

I think they also rolled it out in Germany by now, but I don't live there, so I can't test/verify this:

https://newsroom.deatch.paypal-corp.com/PayPal-weitet-Passkeys-nach-Deutschland-aus

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

I am not able to set up a Passkey for PayPal on my Mac yet. I think it is currently only available on iOS?

• woodyard
    woodyard
    Community Member
    Options

I set it up as well on my account (Denmark), but see the same behavior as @janrex.

• Maelstromeous
    Maelstromeous
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm it is not working on Chrome on Windows with 1Password browser beta. I'm from the UK if that helps, why they region lock that I cannot possibly fathom.

• leonardder
    leonardder
    Community Member
    Options

I've been able to create a passkey on Firefox by using an extension that changes the user agent string to Safari on iOS. I'm from the Netherlands. It looks like Paypal is not only region blocking, but as they say in their docs, they also explicitly lock the feature to certain devices, excluding pc.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

I tried creating a passkey for Paypal on iOS. It gets as far as the screen with the "Create a Passkey" button, but when I tap it, the Paypal app crashes.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

My issue is that when I visit the PayPal passkeys page with the macOS Edge and 1Password extension, which works fine everywhere else and which the 1Password app says supports passkeys in Watchtower, I get this error message:

PayPal Passkey Error

And the FAQ link goes to https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/what-are-paypal-passkeys-help997 which seems to say they only support Chrome and Safari on macOS?

I mean, it's PayPal, so they aren't known for being smart or caring at all, but it's an interesting issue...

Note that I also tried this in Chrome AND Safari on macOS and got the exact same message as above, so I can't set it up there either. So stupid...

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the same thing as @dszp .

• secureregret
    secureregret
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as dszp in Chrome 117.0.5938.132 on Ubuntu 23.04 and 1Password 8.10.16

• jondriscoll
    jondriscoll
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

same issue - safari Version 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1) OSX: 14.0 (23A344) 1Password: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016047)

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member
    Options

Also seeing the same (in German) like @wavesound/@dszp
    But i created a lot of passkeys on other sites... Best service with Passkey i had with Google-Accounts...

This discussion has been closed.