1PW and iOS/macOS 'fighting' over Passkey management

Options
snozdop
snozdop
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I'm interested to hear what the 1Password devs have to say about the current situation with 1Password and iOS/macOS 'fighting' over which manages passwords and/or passkeys.

In particular this comment by Ricky Mondello (Apple engineer for Passkeys):

https://hachyderm.io/@rmondello/111122961961973718#.

where he say's:

"iOS has an entire facility for third-party credential managers to plug into to be a data provider for passkeys.

Some third-party credential managers have instead decided to overwrite the JavaScript API in web browsers for passkeys and security keys, making it difficult for users to use the OS functionality, causing user experience havoc.

I’ve made my thoughts on this reckless behavior clear to them and will do what I can to fix this situation up."

The comment that spurred this reply and the comments following in the thread, show that many people are having issues and want a solution.

What do 1Password devs have to say about this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

When I only had seen the title of this post I immediately wanted to add Ricky’s post to it, but after opening it I saw it was exactly about that…

So I’m quite interested in 1Password’s reply/vision as well.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I too am interested to hear about this. I find that passkeys obviously do work, but i have been getting multiple UI's popup when signing in and i'm not 100% sure which UI element belongs to who. Would be nice to get some clarity.

• Hello everyone,

1Password has implemented iOS 17's passkey API, which Apple has provided for third-party apps. The team has reached out to Apple for clarification about the posted comments. Our team has worked closely with Apple throughout the summer to address issues in the framework and our implementation and are continuing to do so.

We're only getting started with saving and signing in with passkeys in 1Password and our development and product teams are paying close attention to feedback so that 1Password is the best passkey experience available, on all platforms.

-Dave

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Ok, Could you please post back with the clarification from Apple so we can be aware and see what changes may happen?

Would be good to be kept in the loop.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P - I note that Ricky didn't specifically call out 1Password so could've been referring to some other password managers regarding overwriting the Apple-provided API. However, some commenters did mention their experience with 1PW, so there's obviously some issues people are having that need improving.

It would certainly be interesting to hear what Apple say's and what may be possible, if you're able to share such details with us before changes appear in the betas etc.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@snozdop , this is (unfortunately) due to iOS 17 (& macOS 14). It’s the way Apple’s doing it now. I’ll spare the details, but my pure speculation is Apple’s nudging people to use iCloud Keychain service, based partly on the new passkeys UI, & the fact you have to choose each time, & how you get prompted to save to iCloud now. (Basically, iCloud passkeys auto-fill is now “all or nothing.”) The choices for now are as follows:
    1) Make do with the new way.
    2) Transfer/add your passkeys to 1Password (and maybe keep iCloud passkeys as backup) & disable iCloud Keychain passkeys auto-fill.

Sorry about that :-(

Note: I’m assuming you’re referring to the way iOS shows you a popup list (1Password, iCloud) every time you try to login with a passkey, when you have iCloud & a 3rd-party passkey enabled in auto-fill.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

In other words, this isn’t a bug… it’s a feature.

• Hello everyone,

Just to close the loop here, my colleague Mitch provided a more in-depth response over on our Reddit AMA: https://reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/16to6x7/hey_reddit_were_the_team_behind_passkeys_in/k3g1luy/

If you are running into any specific issues when using 1Password to save or sign in with passkeys then please open a new thread and we would be happy to help you get things working or to file an issue with our development team.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.