Please make "Video Evidence" field optional in passkeys.directory contribution form

Options
rrrix
rrrix
Community Member

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, so sorry in advance if it's not.

I recently found https://passkeys.directory/ and noticed a couple of websites of which I know support Passkeys but weren't listed, so I thought I'd contribute by filling out the Passkey Directory Contribution Form.

I got most of the way there, found the right URL for documentation, etc.

The last field on the form is marked as required (*):

Video Evidence*

Please upload a screen recording demonstrating the creation of a passkey and sign in with a passkey. This will be used to verify that the website allows sign in with only a passkey.

Uh... what? No thanks.

FYI: this is an impassable barrier to entry.

1. This assumes I know how to make a screen recording. I personally do, but consider myself a technically advanced user.
  2. This requires that I create, edit and upload that screen recording.
  3. That screen recording likely also shows my Personal Identifiable Information.
    • At least my login information such as my email address.
    • Potentially much more like full name, address, masked credit card/billing/shipping info, list of other authentication methods I have configured and whatever other PII is shown on the User Profile + Security screens the website(s) use.
    • Hint: There's absolutely no way I'm going to put that on a video attachment on some random Google Form.
  4. Also... how much time do you think I have?

This seems to me like the creators of the form assume that if someone is submitting this form, that they're also somehow affiliated with or have a vested interest in getting a site listed there. This assumption falls flat on its face for people like me, who just wanted to be a good samaritan.

Compare this to the Request a website form on the Vote for passkeys support tab, which only has 3 fields - as simple as it gets:

Request a website

Submit this request form to have your favorite website added to our voting system. The more votes a site gets, the better chance they'll add passkeys!

• Website Name*

• Website Domain*

• Category*

Sadly, it now makes sense why the Passkeys supported section only has 70 entries. No one is going to submit this form except for business who are actively marketing this capability.

I couldn't see any method to contact whoever directly operates passkeys.directory or owns the Passkey Directory Contribution Form, so hopefully this post reaches them in one way or another.

Thanks for setting up and operating passkeys.directory, I truely hope it can become the defacto index for finding Passkey supported services, it's sorely needed!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @rrrix! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for your interest in contributing to the directory! We ask for video proof for verification reasons since we may not always be able to validate whether a website actually supports passkeys ourselves. This could be due to a variety of reasons that include things like geofencing where passkeys are only available in specific regions.

We don't want to end up in a situation where a website has been added to the directory as supporting passkeys when in reality it doesn't or it only supports passkeys for a limited purpose such as 2FA.

While new site requests should still go through the directory contribution form, in your specific case, please send an email to the team at support+forum@1password.com so that the team can see what they can do. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

things like geofencing where passkeys are only available in specific regions.

By allowing entries in the passkey directory that are not available for everybody, you render the directory mostly useless. This might not be that apparent if you live in the US, because almost everything is being rollout to the US first, but if you don't live in the US, you almost never get the ability to use some new announced feature at the time of the announcement.

I read "brand new feature: now available: passkeys!"

Cool! I look and try.

I get: "not available". Or simply nothing, as if it doesn't exist at all.

Then why this announcement? It makes me ignore this kind of news.

And if it becomes available in the future, it's often still not available, because it requires some special hardware I'm not actually using. Because of this, I suggest you enter only entries that:

• are available worldwide
    • are available for all of Windows, Macos, Ios, Android
  • Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Tertius3

Thanks for the feedback. I live in Canada and I'm well aware of the frustration of hearing of some amazing new feature only to learn that it's limited to the United States for the time being. πŸ₯²

When we're aware that passkeys are only offered in a certain region we try to include that information in the directory. For example, take a look at the page for Paypal: Passkeys.directory - PayPal

The "Confirmed Location Support" section lets folks know where PayPal currently supports passkeys. Would you prefer that this section be made more prominent?

-Dave

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I'd prefer a filter that let me display only entries that support my region. I'm not interested in any entry not supporting my region at all. These are not useful for me.

The same with the Watchtower category, by the way: I'd prefer to get a notice in Watchtower only, if an item is actually supporting passkeys in my region and if it supports the platform the client is actually running on. I ask such notice being useful. If it only announces some general theoretical availability but not the availability to me specifically, it's just an advertisement but not useful.

• @Tertius3

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team internally. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36069504

This discussion has been closed.