Add saved form fields in 1Password 8 to auto-fill secret key

Options
asbjornu
asbjornu
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

In order to have 1Password's "secret key" (named account-key in HTML) auto-filled by 1Password, I would like to edit the login item and manually add account-key as a "saved form field". This, however, seems to be impossible.

1Password's login screen

I've tried to follow the instructions given here, but the .1pif file is just created as a new file item in 1Password:

Add new item dialogue

I've tried to delete the login item to have 1Password re-create it, but since I have multiple login items for 1password.com, 1Password doesn't prompt to create it. I've checked "show auto-saved web details" in advanced settings to no avail:

Show auto-saved web details

Can someone please explain how I can have 1Password auto-fill "secret key" on the login screen?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Firefox 117.0.1

Comments

• Hey @asbjornu,

In your 1Password do you have an item called 1Password account? If yes, does it have a concealed field in it containing your Secret Key?

If yes, you should be able to fill that field by clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Autofill' next to your 1Password account item.

Let us know how you get on.

• asbjornu
    asbjornu
    Community Member
    Options

I have several items called 1Password in my vault and all of them contain a concealed field called secret key or account-key. They are not auto-filled on 1Password.com, possibly because 1Password has no idea that they are form fields that should be auto-filled into the login form.

• rootzero
    rootzero
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Not the OP, but I have a single 1Password Account item in my Private vault containing a Secret Key field. It doesn't autofill on 1password.com using Brave/Chromium when clicking on the page, but it does when clicking autofill in the extension. All three fields used to get filled when clicking on the page, but since the login process has been split across two pages, the secret key hasn't autofilled with the other fields.

• Hey @asbjornu,

Are you able to fill the field by clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar followed by the 'Autofill' button within your 1Password account item as @rootzero has suggested?

• asbjornu
    asbjornu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @steph.giles. Yes, that works. But I have to auto-fill twice. First to fill out the e-mail address, then after clicking "Continue" I have to auto-fill again to have all 3 fields (email, secret key and password) auto-filled. Very annoying!

This discussion has been closed.