To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Signed in on iPhone with Face ID, locked out on Desktop. Being told to set up a new account?!

Options
blakeman
blakeman
Community Member

Last night I auto-generated a new password for 1password because the old one had been spotted in a leak. I think that I used 1password to generate the new pass. But I didn't write it down and I can't log back in to 1password. I'm stuck in a doom loop.

However, I do have two devices that unlock with my Face ID. I can see all my data but they aren't syncing and so haven't saved the new password (that's the only piece of data I can't see).

My first response from customer service is suggesting I need to start over.

This is crazy - I have close to 5000 items saved in 1password so I can’t delete my account, that is just not going to work and I’m a bit freaked out over that.

So…can I export the data on my iPad and migrate it to a new account? Can I set up a new device somehow with info from the iPad?

I”ve read through the links about forgotten passwords and nothing is working. I've sent a diagnostic to customer support.

This is shaping up to be a disaster.

I hope someone can help.

Blake

I also sent a diagnostic report to you.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• yyz
    yyz
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

It might help you and hope it'll help. If you haven't accessed 1Password with the account on the other device, just turn all the network settings down. And then just have a try with your old master password or face id, as an emergency. If your have accessed, I can't think of another way, just contact support.

• blakeman
    blakeman
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I've been helped by the very talented Ashlee S. in 1password support. I was really panicking and she suggested a workaround that basically had me create a new family account on my iPad (on which I was able to sign in to 1password with Face ID), transfer all items from the old to the new account, then delete the old account and finally, convert the family account to an individual account. Pretty smart and exactly the type of help I needed.

HUGE thank you to the IT department and Ashlee S. in particular!

• Thank you for those kind words for our very talented Ashlee. 🎉

This discussion has been closed.