Firefox extension on macOS does not auto-unlock

Options

Hi all,

Despite following all of the guidance at https://support.1password.com/connect-1password-browser-app/, my 1Password extension in Firefox on macOS is unable to auto-unlock when the desktop app is running and unlocked. Instead, I am prompted to unlock the extension with my 1P password. Is this a known bug?

The macOS 1P menu bar item is running, and 1P is allowed as a background login item.
This is a brand new Firefox profile on a personal machine, so there is no MDM or other device management software installed. The extensions for other browsers do not exhibit this problem. Brave, Chrome, and Safari are all confirmed to work flawlessly; only Firefox is the not working as expected.

The behavior seems mildly similar to https://1password.community/discussion/142104/1password-extension-for-firefox-cant-connect-to-app, but instead of a "Problems connecting" error, I am prompted for my 1P password even though the desktop app is unlocked. Entering my 1P password allows me to successfully access my vaults, and data syncs fine between the desktop app and extension.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1 (stable)
OS Version: macOS 14
Browser: Firefox 118.0.1

Comments

• Hi @BDB,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing trouble with app integration when using your Firefox browser. In order to get a closer look and provide you with the best advice moving forward, I'd like to ask you to reproduce the behaviour and send over some diagnostics from your device :

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• BDB
    BDB
    Community Member
    Options

To help others:
    The root cause of my problem seems to be that my Firefox app is (intentionally) located within my user's Applications folder ( /Users/<username>/Applications/Firefox.app ), rather than the system Applications folder ( /Applications/Firefox.app ). This was causing the 1Password Firefox extension to be unable to connect with the 1Password desktop app. Starting Firefox from the system Applications folder does not exhibit the problem.

• @BDB

Correct. The browser would need to be in the Applications folder for things like code signing checks. Thank you for thinking of the community. We're glad to have you with us and contributing.

This discussion has been closed.