To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Access when your out your home PC.

Options
ekraus
ekraus
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Memberships

I just signed up for 1password but I see a problem that I may face.
Hypothetical question.
Say I am away from home and don't have access to my phone.
I go into a library and want to get into my email or other site that I have password stored in 1password.
I go to the 1password site and try to login and get a prompt for my secret key.
It's 34 characters.
Do I have to carry that key in my wallet?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• rootzero
    rootzero
    Community Member
    Options

I wouldn't log in to 1Password on someone else's device. I carry my phone with me and make sure that any passwords that I may need to enter on other devices are random, but easy to type.

• ekraus
    ekraus
    Community Member
    Options

I get it. Sometimes I cant do what I need to do on my phone. I need a PC.
    I'll give you an example. I was in Pittsburgh downtown. I needed to send a wire.
    I went into Carnegie Mellon University library logged into my bank and sent the wire.
    So what good is 1password in that situation? I still will need to know my bank password.

• rootzero
    rootzero
    Community Member
    Options

I wouldn't log in to my bank account on someone else's device. I would use the banking app on my phone or visit the bank's website using the browser on my phone.

If for some reason I can't avoid logging in on someone elses device then I would look up the password in 1Password, enter it manually and change it as soon as possible afterwards. 1Password is still adding value because it allows me to store my bank password and change it when necessary without worrying about losing it.

• @rootzero

Those are the exact steps I've taken in unusual situations. Thanks for the assist.

@ekraus

Re:

and change it as soon as possible afterwards.

To clarify I'd recommend changing the password on a device you control. Not on the same device you recently accessed.

• ekraus
    ekraus
    Community Member
    Options

Problem is I cant see carrying around a 34 character key. Assume no phone available.

• You would be unable to access 1Password.com without the Secret Key. That is how 1Password is designed to protect your data. You will need to have access to it in such a situation.

This discussion has been closed.